Majors guys still like the job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

check six

I have been doing engineering for awhile. Made a good living and could continue doing that. I have 2500 hours and some Lear jet time and still like going out and flying anything. If I go back and fly it will take awhile to get pay back up there.

Do you Majors guys get bored with job and stay there for the money? Or do you still like flying regardless of the money?

Thanks,

Check Six

Having worked in Tech for a long time before getting my chance to fly for a living let me tell you this; it Effing rocks. It was worth it; with three caveats:
1) Don't give up.
2) Don't stop at the regionals.
3) Start right now. Make your move, and run with it; don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Tailwinds.

Having worked in Tech for a long time before getting my chance to fly for a living let me tell you this; it Effing rocks. It was worth it; with three caveats:
1) Don't give up.
2) Don't stop at the regionals.
3) Start right now. Make your move, and run with it; don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Tailwinds.
Grog, best summary I've read here. Yes, there is some luck involved in where you end up. Sometimes, despite your best efforts and crystal-ball-gazing, you end up at an airline that folds, or get stuck at one that shrinks as fast as people retire, and you stagnate. But for the majority, the overall result is a career that we love and enjoy. I think there's a larger number of complainers on web boards in general, so being here can give you a skewed view of what the career is really like. So if you want the career, go for it, with an eye on the reality that it may have problems. But chances are, it's going to be fun.

HAL

Yes, I still love the job. I have been flying at the airlines for 10 years. I still love to fly, and still look forward to going to work. I was late to the game, because this was not my first career either. I left good jobs to pursue this dream, and my only regret is not pursuing it sooner.

I was lucky. I made it to the major of my choice. For many, stagnation, poor work rules, and low pay at the regional level has been a way of life for too long.

I would advise you to go for it. There may be some hurdles, but at least you will know, and not wonder 'what if'. If it doesn't work out, there will always be a job for you as an engineer.

I was hired by a legacy later than average after working for a regional then a supplemental.

Boredom, or the lack thereof, is entirely up to you. If you can bid international and energetically get out and see the sights, I'd hardly call it a boring job. You can find plenty of reading to occupy your time up at cruise (company-related of course:D)

It's still one of the best jobs in the world.

It's all about time off and $ for me. I'd rather not work but since I have to, there's nothing else I'd rather be doing (maybe a rockstar perhaps:D). Been there done that - working in an office blows! Once the parking brake is set and the door pops open, you are done; the best part....no work to bring home!

The timing may be lining up- you won't have 9/11 or 65 stagnation to deal w/-
But yes- agree with the above, how much you enjoy it depends on how you're wired and how much you tend to take things for granted-
For me, I love every second as long as I'm not kept away from home too long- I'm really lucky to have that job-

All the above is great advice.

Definitely don't play the regional game if you can in any way avoid it.

Also, be careful what you ask for.....If home is where you need to be, there are not many days that you will actually be there. If you have them, the wife and kids may disappear.

However, you can get lucky too...I lived in base and did nothing but turns and/or short trips with 16-20 days off every month for almost 10 years.

It's all a big Krap Shoot...and like the Lottery, you have to be in it to win it.

BUT, as someone already pointed out, if it all goes south, YOU have the option of going back to a decent paying career that keeps you at home.

Go for it and good luck!

YKW

Last edited:
Depending on you age maybe wait another year or two and see what happens. If the retirements get moving and things break loose you might get to the same place just as quickly but save yourself a couple years of low seniority/low pay regional FO time. It's always better to get hired when things are moving than when things are stuck like they are now. When things get moving and the regionals start losing pilots quickly look for the quickest upgrade, get 1000 airline PIC and make the next step as fast as you can.

As somebody pointed out, if you leave a stable, good paying job to be at the bottom of the heap at a regional with low pay, terrible schedules and a possible commute it will be very tough on you and your family. It's a very good job if you have some seniority at a good company and can live in base or have an "easy" commute (if there is such a thing) but getting to that point can be very difficult. The flying itself is fun but much of what goes with it in terms of lifestyle can be very difficult if you have low seniority and low pay. Good luck, be sure it's what you want.

There's nothing wrong with having a job outside of aviation and flying for fun. Sometimes when you make your hobby your job some of the fun goes out of the activity because now you have to do it instead of doing it on your own terms.

It's refreshing to see some positive comments about what we do for living here on FI. If flying for living is where your passion is, don't let any of the ney-sayers talk you out of it. (You'd work with many many many of them. After all, what else is there to do on 5hr legs...? :D) Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's not a long road. It's a question of how badly you want it, I guess it boils down to...

I've come from a similar career background as yours. I was a software engineer in my previous career and I started flying at a local FBO like many of us have. (Actually I had never even dreamed then that I'd be flying as an airline pilot.) I spent nearly 10 years at a regional before I finally landed at a major. (9/11 really did a number on my career plan.) But It really took a long furlough to finally realize just how much I loved my job.

So, to be or not to be...? That a question only you can answer as it is a very personal one.

Latest resources

Back