Majors guys still like the job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another consideration....

IF you are "unattached"...No Wife/Kids etc. YOU are prime for an overseas spot.

I only wish that was an option when I was 30 years younger.

Skip the charter/regional/bullkrap ( which I was able to do even years ago...Thank You Lord. ) and experience the World at a relatively GREAT pay rate while building invaluable experience in jet/international Ops.

Wow.

What great opportunities are available for guys like you in this day and age.

2-4 years overseas, mucho pay, mucho experience...while avoiding the Regional crap-trap and becoming perfectly marketable to what will be the "New Majors" in the U.S. aviation system.

The World of Aviation....just may be YOUR oyster.

:)

YKW

You might want to ask this question on the regional section also if that is your career path. You could be there for years. Many guys over there waiting for there shot but having to make it work. Some will never leave the regionals for a major. Esppecially if older and want any QOL. Unfortunately lots of people get into this business and all they look at is the pay for a major airline pilot captain flying a 747 and not the pay scales for the 25 years leading up to that point. I was a career changer and had good luck, good timing. You fly wit some guys who have been in this business for 15 years and never broke 50k or gotten off reserve.

You might want to ask this question on the regional section also if that is your career path. You could be there for years. Many guys over there waiting for there shot but having to make it work. Some will never leave the regionals for a major. Esppecially if older and want any QOL. Unfortunately lots of people get into this business and all they look at is the pay for a major airline pilot captain flying a 747 and not the pay scales for the 25 years leading up to that point. I was a career changer and had good luck, good timing. You fly wit some guys who have been in this business for 15 years and never broke 50k or gotten off reserve.

I agree, due to the 9/11 downturns, I spent a total of 14 years wondering the "low pay, and instability" wilderness of pilot jobs before I got on with a reputable "legacy" airline.... and even as good as the pay is here relative to the others, it's still on par with many of my friends who graduated in Engineering 15 years ago are making now... I know a guy that has his Masters in EE and makes $175,000 at Intel working M-F 9-5... Pilot pay isn't what it used to be... maybe one day it will return, but not in the short term.

Take a job because you like it, and let the money come with it...

The timing may be lining up- you won't have 9/11 or 65 stagnation to deal w/-
But yes- agree with the above, how much you enjoy it depends on how you're wired and how much you tend to take things for granted-
For me, I love every second as long as I'm not kept away from home too long- I'm really lucky to have that job-

this may well be true, and from what I can see, retirements are due to spike in the next 7-10 years.... should time well for him.

Having worked in Tech for a long time before getting my chance to fly for a living let me tell you this; it Effing rocks. It was worth it; with three caveats:
1) Don't give up.
2) Don't stop at the regionals.
3) Start right now. Make your move, and run with it; don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Tailwinds.

I think he is planning on going right to the majors given that he has so many hours..........

There is no doubt this has been a rough decade or more thanks to 9-11, BKs, and then age 65. But, those old guys that have been hanging on will eventually go, in floods too. Consolidation will create a few mega carriers that will keep fares higher, allowing more stability due to more consistent profits. There will still be ups and downs, but not as many BKs and huge pay cuts.

The question is, will senior RJ Capts who now have families and are used to their current pay, be willing to take a 1 or 2 year paycut and head over to a Major when the time comes? First year pay may be a bit lower, and reserve away from your kids may not be on their wish list. But, if they get on in the beginning of a hiring wave, life could be great within a year or two, with quick advancement and equal pay or better within 2-3 years, and then getting better after that. If that doesn't happen, RJ FOs will probably be next on the hiring list. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Flying for most majors is like meeting 3 really hot looking super model chicks in a bar who want to take you back to their super yacht.

After more than a few drinks you stagger onboard, and have another drink just high on life. Slowly but surely as they slowly remove their designer dresses, you make the horrifying discovery that they really are drag queens.

Too late, you're handcuffed face down on the bed. Enjoy your career.

(not from experience, but my airline career has been similar)

Latest resources

Back