• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

majority of pilots pencil whip??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Physics majors tend to study physics because they want to learn physics - obviously nobody goes into it for the money and chicks!

Or, the pocket protectors??? :D

But I don't know - and I'm not going to assume they would merely because of their age.

Try this formula:

you can use the state of popular culture as the "given", and accept that the state of popular culture accepts cheating. Now, find who's habits and personalities are currently being formed by popular culture and the teaching of situaltional ethics. The answer? Those at greatest risk are the young.

Being young isn't a guarantee that someone would cheat, but it DOES guarantee that he is among those with a statistically high propensity to do so, based on actual studies.

avbug said:
This kid that's accepting the WIA funds while falsifying his qualifications to get them...anybody point out to him that it's grand larceny and a federal offense?

Those are my tax dollars the little bastard is spending. He's taking my dollars to go earn a type to compete against me, and he's not even qualified for the job. I say hang him.

He's not lying about being unemployed and you don't need ATP mins to get a type. Getting the money for the type is legitamite.

I'm going to call him and tell him what I think about this and try to discourage him from whipping his book.

P51 time?

First of all TIMEBUILDER and BIGD need to get there own room! Enough with the downfall of modern/past ethics of society!

NEXT! A pilot's logbook is a Legal Document recongized by the FAA and anybody else that wants to view it as such. Putting P51 time or (Parker time) in this book is BIG NO NO. I see it being the worst of all evils in aviation; even worse than PFT and Scabing...which by the way many take out of contex.

I had a chance to A: PFT at COTEX awhile ago because I was 50 hours short on multi or B: "add" more time in the book or C: go fly and do it right. For myself there was no blink off an eye but to C: go fly. Today I am better off for it and glad I did it the Honest way, though not at ConExp.

I know pilots that have whip some time. Believe me, they won't work for my company if I am interviewing and can validate this fake time.

As for the 172 story I heard the version that the guy went to an Airline Interview and one of the board members owned the plane he had many hours in, thats even better! SEE YA DUDE have nice new career change!

Logbook pencil whipping BAD, bad monkey!

Squirreldog

Hi!

I always log my time as accurately as possible. No one's logbook can be EXACTLY perfect, but I try.

The only "logbook abuse" I know of is a few pilots extending their block out or in times by a minute or two. I don't do that.

I would say that almost 100% of the pilots I've flown with have logged their times accurately.

Besides the fact that logging your times correctly is the right thing to do, would you want to answer an interviewer who asked you if you ever cheated on your logbook?

Honesty is the best policy.

Cliff
GRB

PS-I have heard of pilots who logged stuff that was wrong because they didn't understand how to log their times, but those were honest mistakes. They weren't trying to take advantage.

Honest mistakes are another matter all together, and those are not the same thing as penciling in another 300 hours to get that job.

For example, the first page of my helicopter logbook (I keep seperate books for stuck and fling wing flying) for the longest time had 0.1 error in it. I flew 16 hours on the first page, but for whatever reason the totals at the bottom said 16.1. I didn't catch it for a year, until I finally started putting my numbers into Logbook Pro.

I went in and corrected the first page of course, but that is not a case of padding, that is a case of being bad at punching numbers on a calculator. :D

On another note, I totally forgot to include two cross country flights in the totals on page 4 of my airplane logbook, didn't notice it until page 13. So I added the numbers to the totals on that page and made a note at the top of the page as to what the correction was for.

I've worked very hard for all my ratings and I'm proud of every one of my hours. I want my logs to be accurate, not because anyone else cares, but because *I* care. That is my flying history, and it has more value to me than anyone else. My kids will look at these logs one day and (hopefully) be proud of their old man, I want them to know my logs are clean.

Ok, I'll get off the soapbox now! :D

Jason

we all pad our logbooks

How many on this board after ever blocked out on the road prior to the airplane moving under its own power, for pay purposes. Would that not be considered padding? I will bet the number is greater than 1. In the non-sked business, I have flown with guys who blocked out when they walked on to the ramp. Who is to say 2.5 from LIT to BUF is padding as opposed to the actual of 2.3. .2 per day times, 20 flight days per month ='s 4 hours extra pay per month. This is know as padding for pay, that is usally followed by dozing for dollars. Now of course I have never done any of this, I have only heard rumors around the ramp, in the cockpit, on the F/E's panel.

Last edited:
Neither is right but I think padding a little before and after the flight is less evil than logging time for a flight you never even flew. I'm not advocating padding but the intent is to get paid more not lie about your qualifications, undercutting someone who is honest when you're both completing for the same job.

Last edited:
i had a guy tell me that it all works out in the end - he was implying that after you've got a few thousand hours, flight time doesn't really matter anyway. (so, it's like it matters at first and years later, it doesn't matter as much)

Timebuilder said:
No. Maybe it's because I was a kid in the fifties.
Of course, nobody ever lied in the Glorious Fifties. (Cigarettes are good for you! President Eisenhower doesn't even know what a U-2 is! Rock Hudson is a real ladies man!) And look at Bill Clinton: he was a kid in the Fifties, and he never told a lie.

:D Timebuilder, I've got a lot of respect for you and I'm confident you yourself are an honest man...but please. Your generation is not fundamentally more honest than mine or any other. (People even lied in the Bible, you know...)

By the way, all of my hours...what few there are...are real. I've got a much too guilty conscience to try to fake through something like that at an interview!

Your generation is not fundamentally more honest than mine or any other. (People even lied in the Bible, you know...)

While you just cited some wonderful exceptions to the rule, I am supported by many studies that are on my side. But hey, go and do your own survey. Call the service academies, and ask about the violations of the Honor System since the 1970's. Have they increased? Ask a principal who has just retired about the level of cheating he has seen in his tenure. Is it worse?

Since you mentioned the Bible, you should know that dishonesty is symptomatic of the state of Man. How well we struggle, or decide to not struggle against dishonesty is a symptom of society.

My point is that situational ethics have made the idea of cheating much more socially acceptable over the past 40 years.

Based on this observation, I'm willing to bet that false flights in logbooks have increased in my lifetime.

Latest resources

Back