• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Major" League Players and CEO's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just watched Matt Holliday miss a flyball that my 9 year old son could have caught this evening, costing the Cardinals a win and probably a chance at a pennant. Despite having missed a catch hit to his position, one of maybe 4 or 5 he was called upon to catch tonight he will still get his payday. He is a free agent at the end of the season and will probably get some "win at all costs" east coast team to sign him for a minimum of 17 million a year.

Kind of reminds you of airline CEO's and upper management doesn't it? They can continue to miss catching routine flyballs but they still get their payday. Too bad the rest of us can't get away with such egregious dereliction's of the roles we play.

Which is exactly why I never pay to go watch a sporting event. No way am I going to pay 100 dollars just so they can pay these guys millions and millions of dollars.
I guess its a good thing these sports teams pay well otherwise 75% of the NBA players would be in jail or selling crack.

Agreed... the problem is when CEOs and execs are paid for poor performance without consequence. It is one thing to have billions of $$ in the hands of a few who hoard it, rather than investing it in their companies or in the economy in general....

But the real point is it creates a level of entitlement and greed.... indiffernce to the very stakeholders, including employees and customers who want/need the products and services...

Those who defend or who are indifferent to these oligarchs are part of the problem....

http://exiledonline.com/americas-dead-souls-8-reasons-to-hate-our-billionaire-bolsheviks/

Can we hold national union officials to those same standards? Cut Praters pay. By the look of it, a diet would do him good.

Can we hold national union officials to those same standards? Cut Praters pay. By the look of it, a diet would do him good.

Why?

When the SigInt guys came out a few decades after WWII and showed how effective they were.. the question was "why didn't you shorten the war...?" The reply was ... we did...

So as bad as the last eight years have been, how do you know they weren't worse without union representation and each member voting for his own pay cut? Recall the union officers of the BK era all took paycuts and Prater said he'd take the pay structure the ALPA BOD agreed upon.

Unlike corporate structures our union has a representative structure.... as an employee you have no say in your CEO's pay. As a union member you can, if you have the resources, politic to reduce union officials pay...

Corporations are fascist.

Last edited:
Unlike corporate structures our union has a representative structure.... as an employee you have no say in your CEO's pay. As a union member you can, if you have the resources, politic to reduce union officials pay...

Corporations are fascist.

Just like all ALPA members had a say in ALPA's endorsement of age 65.

I guess its a good thing these sports teams pay well otherwise 75% of the NBA players would be in jail or selling crack.

I went to college and hung out with a bunch of these college turned nba players. One of them graduated a prestigious east coast university with me earning a 3.9 gpa in finance. He is now making 10 million dollars per year and is dating a super model. It takes intelligence, as much as some don't show it, to play sports at a professional level. When you see these NBA stars all "thugged out", it is all marketing, and not a reflection of their intelligence nor their propensity to commit crimes or do drugs.

Those that contribute the least to society make the most, those that contribute the most to society make the least. ie: athletes, actors...teachers, firemen. Look at the annual parade magazine in the Sunday newspaper. Every year they have a what do people make segment.

N757,
Just like the guy I went to college with that is playing in the NBA. I new his tutor really well. The idiot could hardly spell his name, but he had a B average. He sure as hell could play some good B-Ball though. That is more the norm for pro athletes. While there are some that are smart. There is an exception to every rule.

Just like all ALPA members had a say in ALPA's endorsement of age 65.

There was the the survey... a minority participated. Of the minority, a majority wanted Age 60.

ALPA through in the question... "if the law will change regardless, do you want ALPA to be influential".... (I am paraphrasing...). The majority (of the minority said yes...)

In addition, there was the ALPAAD guys. They were effective.

There was plenty of opportunity to ALPA members and US citizens to engage the issue....

Most were apathetic or clueless as too how to be effective... so they make snide remarks on FI.....

No one during flight training really says "I hope I am politically effective in my Air Line Pilot career"

Latest resources

Back