Mainline USAir undercuts AGAIN!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DiverDriver said:
Why can't you compare the top rate of each airline? Top rate is top rate. Can you earn more on the E-190 at U with more than 12 years seniority? If you can please explain. I think it's absolutely right to compare the top rate of each scale. It's the most you could earn.

Oh well, I guess my view is just wrong since I've been told "thanks for playing". That's the internet equivalent of "you're an idiot now go away". Wonder who made you the expert?

You Regional guys are fcuking stupid............

You wanna talk top pay ??????

12th year A330 Capt @ USAir is $160 / hour
12th year A330 FO @ USAir is $109 / hour

18th year BAE146 Capt @ Air Whiskey is $111 / hour............
12th year BAE146 Capt @ Air Whiskey is $88 /hour - talk about lowering the bar !!!

How many 12 year FO's / Captains are going to be on the 190 at Airways ???

I'd imagine most will progress to the bigger iron and bigger $$........not topped out like at Air Whiskey ............

Do the 'TOP RATE' comparison DiverDriver !! Spank you very much.............

Doug Parker said:
Do the 'TOP RATE' comparison DiverDriver !! Spank you very much.............

Wow, very intellectual exchange there. Let me excuse myself from your superior presence. At a time where unity is needed you choose to divide. And we all wonder why we can't stop the slide to the bottom.

I asked a question about people's definition of undercutting with no smart remarks or jabs. All I got in return is BS. Nice. And you are the "professionals" of mainline? Wow.

Why can't you compare the top rate of each airline? Top rate is top rate. Can you earn more on the E-190 at U with more than 12 years seniority? If you can please explain. I think it's absolutely right to compare the top rate of each scale. It's the most you could earn.

Why do you want to compare a 12yr scale of one airline to a 18yr scale of another? Thats moron speak.

p.s. you might have made a valid point (AWAC making more)if you didn't push that concession contract as a ALPA rep. :)

Lampshade said:
Why do you want to compare a 12yr scale of one airline to a 18yr scale of another? Thats moron speak.

p.s. you might have made a valid point (AWAC making more)if you didn't push that concession contract as a ALPA rep. :)

Ok, I'll give you that more than a few seem to think that comparing top hourly pay no matter the longevity isn't the right way to look at it. I'm up for learning something new. But no one has yet to explain why you don't want to look at it that way. If we are trying to compare apples to apples and most pay is based on number of seats then why is this a bad comparison? The current book is 111 as top rate on the 146 (88-100 seats) and the new US Air TA seems to have top rate for 100 seats at 89/hr. No one is guaranteeing anyone that they will move up but yes, things should recover and people should move up and out of the 190 at mainline...hopefully. I'm looking at this as: what is happening now? What's the current rate being looked at? And right now, the thing I see is a lower rate for a 100 seat aircraft than what a "regional" is making.

And thanks for remembering I was a rep once. So, even AFTER the concessionary agreement of 2003 the 146 still pays more than what has been proposed on the 190.

Look, I've never made an arguement either way whether I think the 190 should be at a regional or mainline only. I only want to see a fare wage paid for any aircraft and I think that they woefully underbid what they could have. Because of this it will put pressure on other areas to come down again. I thought the goal was to try and put the brakes on and stop the skidding.

Oh yah, and I didn't vote a concession in all by myself. But thanks for thinking I had that power.

If you worked at a AWAC for 12 years and called your buddy up at AWA/US (who has been there for 12 years) after they receive the E190 and ask him what he makes compared to what you make:

The 12yr CA rate for the E190(end of scale) $102.56 (not $89 like you said)
The 12yr CA rate for the Bae146 $89.01

Difference $13.55
(you have to be at AWAC 17yrs ($103.47)to make more than AWA/USA )

If we got them in 2006 E190(10 yr longevity) $94.74
BAe146 (10 yr longevity) $83.75

Difference $10.99

Average hourly pay
A 2006 30yr Avg. pay for 146 AWAC $92, E190 AWA/US $92, $0 diff

A 2015 30yr Avg. pay for 146 AWAC $92, E190 AWA/US $104, $12 diff

AWAC has a 20 year scale $113.06(not 18yr $111.00 not like you said ) this is a retirement aircraft pilots move up to this when they can. The new USAir the E190 will be a entry level A/C. There will be no pilots over 5 yrs longevity on it! Why because they can make more on the A319/320/330/350, B737/757/767. Are we fcking up your retirement A/C? maybe, but the regionals have been fcking up the entry level A/C for a while. Don't get me wrong a 20 year scale is good to have but you can't just say "we top out at $$$" with out the all details. BTW the 146 are going away. ;)

Last edited:
Ok, well lets see. There are other airlines out there that are more than willing to fly the 190 for a cheaper rate. In addition there are some inherent cost increases of operating an aircraft on mainline as opposed to at a contractor. In addition though there is some profit savings doing the same.

Simply looking at the TOP of scale isn't realistic, as how many pilots will you actually have at the top of scale. I've seen some airlines drag pay scales out to 20+ years in the past, and their pilot group was about 2 years old, With large pay increases at the 10+ level, and generally unrealistic that at this particular carrier anyone would be there for that long. I'm sure with the history of your airline there are a fairly good percentage that might be at or close to that 18yr mark. BUT it's as far as they are going to go. True the US seniority list is a little senior at this moment, but in the next few years there is going to be some significant movement (allowing for the fact that the combined carrier is still around) Enough movement that I doubt after 5 years there would be anyone with 12 yrs flying capt on the 190, unless it was a personal choice for whatever reason. Even at that, true it's a payscale till 2015 but not sure when negotiations will be due for a new contract after a joing contract is negotiated. Anyways, the point in progression of your career. the 190 on mainline would be looked at as entry level jet, as well as entry level capt position. the chance and ability to upgrade to larger equipment, with higher pay is available.

Current book:
AWAC US
1 63 78.57
2 65 80.36
3 67 82.14
4 69 83.96
5 71 85.82
6 73 87.53
7 75 89.29
8 78 91.07
9 80 92.89
10 83 94.74
11 85 96.64
12 88 98.58
13 90
14 93
15 96
16 99
17 102
18 105
17 108???
18 111??? not sure why this was stated like this on airlinepilotpay

So you finally meet parity after 16 yrs within the company. If one was to simply stay on this aircraft for their career.....where would one make the highest W-2 or cumlative earnings??? You might catch up after 30 years, but again the transgression of the mainline will lead to bigger and higher paying equipment. Even in the downturns eventually it opens up again, the typical cyclic of the industry. As management knows this also, and can offer that 20 year pay scale, knowing that as the industry upturns, they will loose alot of the midlevel sr. jumping to carriers with better QOL, Equipment etc. Also in negotiating the payscale, one has to look at the transgression of a particular groups career. Most f/o scales top out at 5yr, 8 year, something like that. Why is that??? Mgt, knows most guys will be in the left seat by that time, if not, it's a different spin on the up and out policy. Either upgrade or no more raises, if you can't upgrade well your screwed at that pay or you leave, making room for a new pilot at a lower cost. Why does your F/O pay stop at 8 yr??? Why aren't there steps up to 18 yr too???
Another question, what were the 146 rates prior to 2003??? And how did they compare to the mainline rates of 1st yr capt. 111, 12 yr at 124 ( It think?)

Gentlemen, thank you for your thought out explanations. I appreciate it and I understand your point of view more.

Latest resources

Back