• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have had pretty good luck with Dell.

Bought my current computer in 98.
My daughter has two.
My son has one.
We could be in some kind of freakish Dell commercial.
A few minor problems, but resolved fairly painlessly.

That said; I am in love with the new iMac. I can't say for sure which I will go with with decision time comes - but I think I will probably try the Mac. The big encouragement is the ability to transfer most of my old windows files to the new computer.

If you do get the G4 iMac (I've had one for a year, and love it), don't get the memory upgrade from Apple. Get it here:

http://www.ramjet.com/

$99 will get you a 512MB chip for half of Apple's price. (I've used the company repeatedly, and am very happy with their memory products). That will go in the user slot, giving you 768MB, which should be plenty for most anything you'll do.

They're not quite up to the Windows boxes in raw speed, but I still find I get my work done much faster simply because the user interface really is that much better. Unless you're planning on it as primarily a game machine, I'd get the iMac again in a heartbeat. There are plenty of great Mac games out there, but the variety's really better for Windows. Otherwise, get the Mac. You'll love it. (And you'll love how it virtually NEVER crashes. It's been months since I've had to restart for anything but an OS upgrade.)

Memory, Memory, Memory, Memory, Memory..

bobbysamd said:
That's the model we're considering, though I'm leaning toward the 15" LED monitor model and putting the extra money into more memory.Safari was bundled on the machine we looked at. It seemed faster than Internet Explorer (Of course, the machine, with 800MHz, leaves my 450 PC in the dust anyway, so the comparison might be difficult.). No more $#@!!$! pop-ups? I like that! [/B]

Safari is a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good Browser, and fast! It's still Beta Software, so be aware that very few websites might not look right. But you got Camino, Opera, Mozilla, Navigator and Internet Exploder in case...

One thing about OS X though: It needs Memory! I'm running an iMac G4 with the 17" Screen and the upgrade from 256MB to 768MB made it running twice as fast! So, get as much Memory as you can afford! And don't buy RAM at Apple, to expensive...

Cheers, Sun'n Fun

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back