• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mac v. PC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Windows may not be "based" on DOS anymore, but DOS is still there, and you can boot to DOS without starting Windows. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW, I have Win XP, and if I boot to DOS (not the DOS emulator as you called it) and type "ver" it says Windows Mellenium Edition. Oops, someone made a mistake :)

Mac's Rule

My anti-mac feelings growing up were based on ignorance. My wife turned me onto the Mac and I'm never going back. I've owned a G4 "cube" desktop for almost three years and bought a new ibook three months ago. Mac's just work. No screwing with configurations, irq settings, etc. Extreme stability, and all the software I need for what I do.

P.S. Don't drop that Sony Vaio! I used to own one and accidentally knocked it off the table. The screen shattered and after I stopped crying I called Sony to see what a new screen would cost. They said they'd be glad to install a new screen for a mere $900 bucks. More crying!

I was told that when it comes to gaming, it all comes down to the video card and monitor. My buddy has a 1.6ghz P4 with an awesome graphics card and it runs all the newest games with incredible frame rates. So do you guys think that its true that you don't have to have the most up to date processor to run computer games?

I'm not diehard Mac or diehard PC anymore... they both have their pros and cons. Someone mentioned earlier that if you want to do video/photo, etc. then the Mac is the way to go. Well, I do neither - but I have a good friend who is a video editor/producer and he uses PCs primarily. He says he uses Mac's as well, but neither one really stands out to him.

However, my fiance's dad is a professional photographer and within the last 2-4 years or so he moved his studio exclusively over to digital imaging. He also _was_ a diehard Mac fan. Well now he has two high-end PCs in addition to his high-end Mac's, and although he still loves his Mac, he gets much better performance out of his PC. He has set them both to the same task in Photoshop at the same time and the PC will be 90% done when the Mac is 20% done - I know - I've seen it! The Mac's performance suffers...they are still good, but have lagged beind the past few years. He still has his Apple logo on his car, and continues to call me for advice on using his PC, but no longer does he swear by his Mac.

Nathan

Mac Vs. PC

I was an old Apple II guy back in 79, and I then went PC/Wintel in 1982 with the IBM PC... stayed Wintel until Windows Me and my PIII.... then I lost it with Windows... I heard Apple was going with a Unix based OS (OS X) and gave it a shot... haven't looked back...

1. Much cooler hardware
2. Much cooler GUI
3. Much more stable OS (Not a single system crash in 2+ years)
4. Good resale value of hardware... I've owned a few macs now..

I do admit that I still have an IBM NetVista XP PRo box that I use on occation, but I still hate the Windows GUI and way of structuring files and folders..

Get a Mac, and never look back.

My PC is open for bidding on e-bay

I'd used Mac to begin with way back when they were still in the competitive market with 'IBM'. But was basically forced to make the switch aft. Gates & the company dominated the computing world.

To answer your question though, I'd make the switch to Mac. Matter of fact I just did last week. Bought the new iMac G4. The hardware itself is increadibly sharp. The fully adjustable LCD (sprung for the 17in myself) can't be beat. And the 'all in one CPU' leaves the PC users wondering where the CPU is hiding. I agree w/ previous posts in that it's really a matter of preference. (High wing/Low wing). But Mac is making a strong come back with all the digitally compatible programs. I primarily use my new Mac for videography and digital pix. My old PC processor and HD just got too boughed down with the amount of work I'd put into the editing programs.

PC can't offer the Cmd Key shortcuts. That's one thing I like most about the Mac. Only took a few days to refamilairze myself w/ the ol' shortcuts and get used to OS X.2

***Important note: take a look at www.pcconnection.com before you purchase @ some retail store. They'll include the extra 512MB memory chip for FREE. (mail-in rebate). That'll put those 2 bills back in your pocket.

Once your up and running...download Safari as your Net Broswer. It comes highly recommend by Mac uses and personally I haven't seen a better one. POP up windows....GONE.

Hope this helps...safe landings to ya

P.S Don't you guys ever miss the ole' Apple computers with the black screen and green text??:p

What kind of keyboard shortcuts can you do on a Mac that you can't do on a (I'll give in) PC? You can do many with Windows.

IMac

wickedpilot said:
Bought the new iMac G4. The hardware itself is increadibly sharp. The fully adjustable LCD (sprung for the 17in myself) can't be beat. And the 'all in one CPU' leaves the PC users wondering where the CPU is hiding . . . .
That's the model we're considering, though I'm leaning toward the 15" LED monitor model and putting the extra money into more memory.
download Safari as your Net Broswer. It comes highly recommend by Mac uses and personally I haven't seen a better one. POP up windows....GONE.
Safari was bundled on the machine we looked at. It seemed faster than Internet Explorer (Of course, the machine, with 800MHz, leaves my 450 PC in the dust anyway, so the comparison might be difficult.). No more $#@!!$! pop-ups? I like that!

I use POW with IE, no pop ups here after a week of using it. And there are better programs that do even more (like filter out those annoying adds, click here you may have won).

IE pop-up blockers

Actually, I found a good one. Tweak XP, found at www.totalidea.de . It has several utilities, including a pop-up blocker. Tweak XP is good, but probably better with a fast machine. I found that if I tried too many of its tweaks it slowed down my machine.

Latest resources

Back