• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mac v. PC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope. You're not going to find MS supporting anything related to Linux unless they feel forced to do it.

There are a good number of open source browsers that are great alternatives to Netscape. I personally run a couple of Mozilla derivatives on both my Macs and PC's, and they seem to render web pages just fine. Plus they're not nearly as bloated and slow as IE.

As I've responded in the past, I'm a die hard Mac guy. However, Gates and Company have done a lot with Windoze to narrow the gap with the Mac OS. Ditching DOS as a base programming language was a big step, and they are a lot closer to equalling the real 'plug and play' features of the Mac. I started really using Mac OS X this year, and though more things are configured automatically than I'm used to, the thing just plain works. All the time, rock solid.

Don't be fooled, though, by the faster clock speeds of the Intel processors. While they are significantly faster than the Motorola speeds, the G4 processors are quite a bit more efficient. So, in real world tests the Mac is close to, if not faster in certain operations than the Wintel boxes. As BigD commented, this is significant in the laptops. I have yet to drain the battery in my iBook in less than 3.5 hours, and this was watching DVD movies - which is very power intensive. So I call the speed race pretty much a draw.

There are obviously many more choices in brands and configurations with the Wintel units. Calling Dell up, telling them what you want, and having it delivered to your house a few days later sure is nice. Apple will put whatever you want in your box, but obviously, the choices are somewhat more limited.

I have never had any real trouble finding software for the Mac, especially since OS X came out. There seems to be less crap written for it than there is for Windows.

So what's the solution? If you already have a access to a bunch of software for one OS or the other, go with that one. If you're just starting out, find some way to rent each model for a while and see what gets you hard.

I purchased a high end HP computer through the Wired Workforce Program at Delta about a year and a half ago. The decesion to make this purchase is hands down the biggest mistake of my life. The computer has never worked more than about a couple of weeks at a time. At one point it was not useable for around five months. During this time HP would do anything to avoid the fact that it was a piece of shi*. I had to make dozens and dozens of phone calls to try to get authorization to get service on it, when they did authorize the service it was for some stupid thing like replacing the mouse. I finally got an attorney, called HP customer service and asked for their address so I could send them information about me suing them. I also called Delta's Wired Workforce program and let them know the same thing. About five days later I got a new computer sent to me. Well it has been months now and the new computer is just as big a piece of shi**. Each time I have needed service on it, HP has refused it, or has taken so long to call back that I have paid for all the service out of pocket. I used to have a Mac and never had a single problem ever. Macs were really cool but I switched because I thaught I needed Windows. I also had a Gateway PC. It broke down all the time, and had a lot of software problems but their customer service rocked and they could usually talk me through the fix. I hope you never consider buying a HP. They suck big time.

I have experimented with both and have had few if any problems with either. I am currently using a Compaq and a Sony Vaio laptop that I carry with me on the road. I am not a fan of Compaq at all since I have found out the cheap components that they use in the computers, will never buy another one ever again. Sony is pretty much the creme of the crop with regards to design, support, programming, etc... I would stay away from "Dull" and Gateway- a few of my friends have them and have had nothing but problems with them.

As for Mac I think they are pretty "sharp" and a great design. I am really thinking about buying the new lap top that Mac has recently come out with, very very nice however it comes with a hefty price tag so I am currently trying to "justify" the purchase:D

I think either way you go whether it be Mac or PC you cannot go wrong IF you choose a good company- I would stay away from compaq for sure since I have had nothing but problems and the support really $ucks. -

I have been pretty impressed with the new Sony line and if you are willing to spend the extra money I think you will be a happy customer-

c h e e r s

3 5 0

I would have advised you to steer clear of the HP product before the merger. While they had a great rep in the test equipment area, their computers should only be used as door stops.

Several friends LOVE their Dell computers. If I were not going to build one, I'd buy a Dell from their "outlet" page.

I'd have to second the comments about not buying an HP. It is hard to admit it since my previous computer was an HP, and I spent a lot of money on it. I used it as my primary computer for over four years, but if someone who wasn't as computer savvy as I was had to deal with the kinds of problems I did, they would have been up the creek.

My sister has an HP thats probably only about two years old, and I 'tried' to use it while I was visiting her...half the time Windows wasn't even done loading before it would crash, or it wouldn't finish loading at all. I had never used a computer in my life that was so plauged with problems (I feel sorry for her). They reformatted the hard drive and everything, so it's not that.

I replaced my old computer with an eMachines a few months ago which I got for $400 (including monitor and printer with rebates), and it's been great. Much more reliable. There are people who say eMachines are junk but they are better than HPs and similar brands. Also, while eMachines doesn't offer computers as with as many features as Dell/GW, Dell/GW's low-end models are practically the same computers as eMachines but with a higher price tag...if I had bought a Dell or Gateway with the same exact specs I would have paid at least $200 more. I know of some people who have had problems with Dell, and I know a lot of people who have had problems with Gateway. Also Dell, Gateway, and most other brands clutter the desktop with ads and special offers and useless software, whereas my computer had ONE icon on the desktop when it came out of the box...and that was the recycle bin/trash.

Why are IBM-Compatibles (or "PCs" that some of you like to call them, erraneously so--the term was out long before IBM used it) so much more prominent than Macs if they seem so much more error-prone? Well, obviously Apple wanted the guts of the Mac to be a secret. This caused Macs to be 1. More expensive because they are only manufactured by one company, and 2. Have less software available (even if they are equal today)--because of the same reason. When IBM introduced their version of the PC they released detailed specifications so that everybody would start making software for it, and that is exactly what happened. Although the poor reliability of today's IBM-based PCs is due to the volatility of the most common operating system for them (Windows), it looks like IBM's approach was the correct one, since around 90 percent of PCs sold are IBM-Compatibles.

It is interesting how even though Windows has advanced far, the original DOS backbone is still there. And, the fact remains that if you don't like Windows you can still get an IBM-Compatible machine and put almost any operating system you want on it, and can do anything you want to it. I don't like Macs for this reason and the fact that they give the user less control over the computer. I don't know about you, but I like to know that I am smarter than the computer, rather than the other way around.

Despite this, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to suggest a Mac to someone who does not know computers well, but only if they had the money.

In conclusion: If what you want is simplicity, ease-of-use, and reliability, but for a price, get a Mac. If you want flexibility, or if you want to be smarter than your computer (not being critical of those who don't), get IBM-compatible.

Last edited:
Thanks

We looked at an IMac with the 15" flat liquid-crystal monitor over the weekend and were impressed. The monitor was a big selling point for the both of us. Price seemed right, although I would still fork up another $200 for more memory. I've been an IBM/clone/Windows user for nine years and wanted something different.

The only drawback I see so far is that I'm a WordPerfect user and I hear there is no more Corel Office for Mac available anymore. But that, too, is a non-issue because I don't do much work at home anymore. All we really need is some simple word processor on which we can write letters, etc., on the same order as WordPad. I understand that Mac comes with its own proprietary word processor that lets you save as a .doc file, which WP can read.

I very much appreciate all the excellent information.

PS-I tried logging onto our board when I tried the IMac. It did load up fast on Sierra, which was the proprietary browser (I might still download MSN Explorer if I go this direction.). The store has T1, so no wonder, but I just got broadband, which is about three times faster than my former DSL, so I would expect similar results.

Last edited:
Why are IBM-Compatibles (or "PCs" that some of you like to call them, erraneously so--the term was out long before IBM used it) so much more prominent than Macs if they seem so much more error-prone?

http://www.blinkenlights.com/pc.shtml

Although this website identifies the 1949 Simon as the first "personal computer", you will see that the IBM 5150 was the first to use the term "personal computer" to identify their product to the public. My former fiancee's mother was one of the prime architects of this computer, and was also involved with the AT and the XT. It was a variation on the previous IBM product, the portable computer.

Apple simply referred to its product as " Apple" or "the Apple II", in ads reminiscent of the old Volkswagen ads.

Last edited:
Compaq sucks big ole' donkey ones. I almost lost my religion dealing with their customer service folks a couple of years ago.

Now I have a Sony Vaio laptop that is the very best I've ever seen. I got it used but refurbished at a CompUSA. I'll never switch from Sony.

I used to reduce flight test data on an old black and white Mac (with the weird monitor/CPU box that looked like an upended toaster) about 1986. Had early Flightsim on it too - used to fly the learjet between the twin towers....

It is interesting how even though Windows has advanced far, the original DOS backbone is still there
windoze XP has a DOS emulator, but it it not DOS based.

I have the best of both worlds, Windoze and Linux on the same machine I built myself, with a dual bootloader.

Linux is a UNIX based OS, very similar to the MAC OS.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back