• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LR60 Crash KCAE: Another Angle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a very good discussion.. I don't necessary agree with everyone but I very happy to see that its on everyone's mind and the fact that its being discussed my very well save a life.

In August of 2006, I was departing from amarillo in a Lear 31A. We had new tires that had 12 landings on them. we had been on the ground since landing at AMA for 1 hr. We departed as normal, I was the PM, I called out the usual calls, upon, 100-105 kts (I believe V1 was 112) we heard what was unmistakeably the sound of a tire blowing ( louder than you would think). the airplane immediately moved off to the left side of the rwy centerline, The PF applied rudder to get the airplane back on centerline when the Second Right main tire blew, sending us back to the left violently. ( obviously we had little directional control... a key point to an abort) so the PF aborted...stated this outloud... throttles idle, spoilers, TR's...he immediately made it known to me that he was having trouble keeping it on the runway as he slowed the airplane..I called out his speeds as it was slowing...While doing this I radioed to Tower we had a blown tire and were aborting.( i will explain why this may be important) .after I called out 50 kts.. the Two Left mains blew almost at the exact time and we were immediately pulled off the runway to the left perpendicular to the runway... our tornup wheels dug into the grass and we came to rest 35 ft from the side of the RWY. The Rwy is 13000ft long and we took from start to finish 10600 ft... ( it was supposed to be balanced at about 3800 ft).. as soon as the plane stopped we did as we were trained and immediately exited the airplane getting the pax off etc.. shutdown.. etc.. By the time I had opened the door to the airplane the emergency crews , including 3 fire trucks had surrounded the airplane..Now for my reasoning on the radio call..We were obviously lucky in alot of respects.. but the one that was most important to me was the fact that we had no idea if the wheels and brakes ( magnesium) had heated up to starting a fire.. located directly under the wing ( fuel) that was a major thought.. having the FD arrive so quickly was imperative for this reason as well as, what if we hit something and it didn't end as well as it did.. you may think 20 seconds isn't much this type of situation it may very well be a life. a simple radio call from the PM, cannot hurt and in my opinion it helped. I believe the tower wasn't even aware we had the problem until i radioed and it may have taken them another 2-3 minutes to figure it out and then call rescue. I will tell you this, we are trained to abort for loss of directional control..but again the circumstances have to work to abort.. I know if we were on a 6000ft rwy, the PF would have kept going as best he could and we would have taken off if at all possible... Training doesn't account for every scenario, it preps us for judgement and gives us a basis or a control to work from. I Brief blown tires on my takeoff's.. and what I expect from the PM..

Keep the discussion going .. I like to have other perspectives in which to learn from.

Last edited:
This is a very good discussion.. I don't necessary agree with everyone but I very happy to see that its on everyone's mind and the fact that its being discussed my very well save a life.

In August of 2006, I was departing from amarillo in a Lear 31A. We had new tires that had 12 landings on them. we had been on the ground since landing at AMA for 1 hr. We departed as normal, I was the PM, I called out the usual calls, upon, 100-105 kts (I believe V1 was 112) we heard what was unmistakeably the sound of a tire blowing ( louder than you would think). the airplane immediately moved off to the left side of the rwy centerline, The PF applied rudder to get the airplane back on centerline when the Second Right main tire blew, sending us back to the left violently. ( obviously we had little directional control... a key point to an abort) so the PF aborted...stated this outloud... throttles idle, spoilers, TR's...he immediately made it known to me that he was having trouble keeping it on the runway as he slowed the airplane..I called out his speeds as it was slowing...While doing this I radioed to Tower we had a blown tire and were aborting.( i will explain why this may be important) .after I called out 50 kts.. the Two Left mains blew almost at the exact time and we were immediately pulled off the runway to the left perpendicular to the runway... our tornup wheels dug into the grass and we came to rest 35 ft from the side of the RWY. The Rwy is 13000ft long and we took from start to finish 10600 ft... ( it was supposed to be balanced at about 3800 ft).. as soon as the plane stopped we did as we were trained and immediately exited the airplane getting the pax off etc.. shutdown.. etc.. By the time I had opened the door to the airplane the emergency crews , including 3 fire trucks had surrounded the airplane..Now for my reasoning on the radio call..We were obviously lucky in alot of respects.. but the one that was most important to me was the fact that we had no idea if the wheels and brakes ( magnesium) had heated up to starting a fire.. located directly under the wing ( fuel) that was a major thought.. having the FD arrive so quickly was imperative for this reason as well as, what if we hit something and it didn't end as well as it did.. you may think 20 seconds isn't much this type of situation it may very well be a life. a simple radio call from the PM, cannot hurt and in my opinion it helped. I believe the tower wasn't even aware we had the problem until i radioed and it may have taken them another 2-3 minutes to figure it out and then call rescue. I will tell you this, we are trained to abort for loss of directional control..but again the circumstances have to work to abort.. I know if we were on a 6000ft rwy, the PF would have kept going as best he could and we would have taken off if at all possible... Training doesn't account for every scenario, it preps us for judgement and gives us a basis or a control to work from. I Brief blown tires on my takeoff's.. and what I expect from the PM..

Keep the discussion going .. I like to have other perspectives in which to learn from.

Thats an exact reason where a radio call has its place.

Its also a good example that a plane DOES NOT track perfectly straight down a runway like "DAYTONAFLYER" has outlined they do when both tires blow on one side. Thats crazy to think just because a plane stayed straight somewhere once that it happens always to all planes. Flying is way too dynamic to see one thing and associate it with every other plane and incident.

You making the radio call was the smartest decision and nobody can argue that. You were doing nothing but waiting for the plane to stop. You couldn't help the PF. You did your job, period. If you didn't make the call and a fire did start and there was a loss of life or loss of the plane due to a fire having started under a wing.....you would be an outcast and they would all be going after you for NOT making the call.

So really, who cares what any sim school teaches you, or what any chief pilot or captain tells you to do. Make the smart decisions on your own, after all its your life sitting in that flying gas tank. Flying and making your own calls has alot to do with covering your own azz too.

Last edited:
NYG-Flyer,

Kind of supports your situation at the end of the story.
When I was a flight instructor I watched a Lear 55 get cleared for take-off while it was taxiing up to the hold line. I was sitting in line on the other side like #2 for take-off in a Warrior. The Lear never stopped its taxi and went right out on the runway for take-off.

We all watched it accelerate to about the 1,000 ft. mark (maybe 80 kts or so) when the tower called the aircraft and said they had a flame coming from the right gear. We all looked and saw the flame. The pilot immediately got on the brakes and the plane darted off the runway in the blink of an eye to the left and slammed into a little ditch. Grass and sand flew up in the air in a huge cloud. About 5 seconds later the door opens up and one of the pilot gets out and looks at the right main gear and you can see he was pissed.

What happened was, they taxied out of World Jet at FXE and taxied all the way to the other side of the airport to take off on runway 8. They had the parking brake on and for whatever reason it was much tighter on the right brakes. There was an intermittant black mark from the FBO to the runway. The tire was locking up and unlocking all the way overheating the brakes all the way to the runway. When they aborted and hit the brakes the right brakes were so hot they were useless, but the left brakes were fresh, so off the runway they went. It was so fast and violent there was no way anyone could have brought it back.

The fire trucks didn't get there for at least 2-3 minutes. If that gear had kept burning the plane probably would have been lost or heavily damaged. They obviously didn't have to make a radio call because the tower saw everything and made the call to the FD for them.

In a bad abort like yours or any abort where you think you might leave the runway at any speed, the trucks need to roll ASAP.

I appreciate the support. I think my point is you never know and therefore make those decisions based are your situation. Each incident creates a learning experience that hopefully we take something with us.

When the FAA came out to inspect the situation, there first question was how long were we on the ground before we departed again? Once they saw we had been on the ground 45 mins (at least) they then moved on to the possibility of FOD. Be aware that quick turns may contribute to these anomalies.

You guys are assuming too much. Maybe they lost directional control after the tire blew. You have no idea so you have no right to say "why did they abort in the high speed regime"

disrespectful in my opinion

It is the job of the PM to advise of the abort ONLY when the situation is under control, i.e. no more speed callouts or runway remaining callouts are necessary. I've aborted a couple of times and did not advise tower until we began the turn off the runway. It goes back to the old adage of aviate, navigate, communicate. That applies to two-pilot crews as well.

We have no calls in this situation.Just make sure the a/c is being flown and then call the tower as briefed.

The tendency to resist taking into the air is quite strong, and can only be overcome by training and experience.

NEVER attempt to stop anywhere NEAR V1 unless you can absolutely, positively ascertain that the airplane cannot remain airborne and safely return.

Airlines use reduced-decision speeds for a reason...

Food for thought

Most airlines require the PM to make a radio call as soon as the PF calls "Reject."

A successful RTO is useless, especially at night, if the tower does not know you aborted and someone is cleared to TO behind you.

As far as taking off with a blown tire. If you do it certainly don't retract the gear.

Especially at high weights when one tire goes it overloads the other tires on the bogie and they heat up.

Remember the charter DC-8 out of Saudi? A couple of tires blew on a main, the other tires overheated and after gear retraction they started a fire that spread to the CTR fuel tank.

The fire moved fast. The crew tried to return to the airport but the airframe came apart on final. It had been dropping parts, including pax seats from the CTR section, since the downwind leg.

Latest resources

Back