• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Low Time Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank you for all your insight. I do feel like I might try flight instructing again. Problem is all the flight schools around me arent hiring at this moment so I would have to relocate. Thats why I am hesitant because if I get stuck at a job that I dont like, and I relocated a couple states away, it would suck.

Just throwing it out there, does anyone know anything about http://www.gulfstreamacademy.com/

Theres got to be a catch to that or something.

GIA is a big can of worms. Put that money towards hookers or beer before you pay for a job. Ask a poster around here PCL_128 and he'll fill you in. He himself regrets having gone through the program.

PCL_128 what happend? didn't you get your hours?

Although I never instructed I have to agree with the previous posts on the value there of. One day you will have a green FO and you will have to instruct again……. Here is an ad from a company in Conway, SC. Although is it is not instructing, you will gain some very valuable stick and rudder skills flying a Super Cub in and out of a short grass strip. “Good pay” 5 Years ago translated to $10.00 / hr. and you should at least log 700+ hours.

BANNER TOW PILOTS: Sunny Myrtle Beach, SC. Fly and log 700-900 hours towing banners. Good pay. Call SC/(843) 272-5403

Flight instructing will vastly improve your judgment and skills and looks much better on your resume than mindless banner towing.

I believe that pilots who were never a CFI are often very short on patience and lack insights into the weak areas of a new hire. Or they simply don't care. You will ultimately be a Captain and all those CFI hours will matter a great deal.

There is another side to it. You are introduced to aviation culture and tradition via the CFI route. You will pin the shirttail of your first soloed student on the wall. Tired old jokes from "Airplane" and "Topgun" get passed around. Wretchedly bad coffee. Preheaters. High-wing versus low-wing. Owner-pilots that will scare you sh#*less. That near-miss.
Recycled stories that make the rounds every year.

If you are very lucky, you'll meet some truly great instructors and something they taught you will someday save your life. You won't forget that. I still instruct and it keeps me rooted in my beginnings. You will not regret it.

I dont like instructing cause im not good at it. Ive tried it, but I wouldnt want me as an instructor. Im WAY better at just flying the plane.

"Way better at just flying the plane???" You're a 400 hour pilot. You're not "way better" at anything!!!

WAKE UP!!!

AvBug, lay off. He is asking a honest question, and he has little experience. Try to be more of a mentor, instead of just telling him he is a idiot.

Latest resources

Back