• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Low Regional Minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My two cents worth is that for someone who has their heart set on flying for an airline has to find out for themselves what it's like. Telling those people how much they'll hate being in a hotel away from thier family on Christmas isn't doing any good. I know because I was one of those people. I would have never believed it until I lived it myself.

Someone posted that it changes you. I agree whole-heartedly. These people have to try it and see for themselves. Even if it is a bad experience, they can say they gave it a shot.

I do not believe in hiring low-timers, and the original poster certainly applies. That's probably because I had to instruct, fly charter, fly checks, etc. before I got my first airline job and I think people should have to do what I did. But I have to agree with what someone else said - get an airline job and get your time as soon as you can. The industry could change in a day and the minimums go back to 2000TT 500 multi and then you'll be me on 9/12/01 - begging for a CFI job somewhere to stay in an airplane. Take advantage of the current state of the industry.

That being said, of all my flying jobs it was flying King Airs that I've enjoyed the most, and if you go straight from a 172 to ERJ you'll never know how much fun you can have with other types of flying.

Hi!

Pinnacle guys are bidding for and getting awarded capt during indoc. Great Lakes is hiring capts off the street. TSA may be doing Capt Qualified FOs.

If u want more money, Ameristar, Cherry, and IFL I think are all hiring street captains.

cliff
YIP
Cliff, thanks for the info.

For god's sake (and everyone elses, really), at least flight instruct before taking an airline job. I don't understand how anyone goes from a 250 hr. commerical certificate to the right seat.

All your experience is ensconced in training without real-world PIC decision making.

Why flight instruct? Why be paid dismal wages if any at all, begging for one more bloody hour of multi time, or glass time, or complex time, etc. when you can be paid dismal wages while getting the multiengine turbine time?

Get the **** airline job, learn how to fly there, and move on to the majors. If you have a feather in your cap to flight instruct, do so on your off days or after you've retired.

These opportunities come around about once a decade, go for it now. Let others whine about how they had to spend XXX years making dirt before flying the big iron. Keep your chortle to yourself until you're sitting left seat at your 'retirement' airline.

JOHN,

Rtmcfi and Leroy give great advice. Might differ slightly but they certainly thought out their responses. I'd say go the CFI route if only for the summer and early fall. Spend June-October instructing and at the very least double your 250 hours to 500 hours. You'll probably pick up some multi along the way and then re-evaluate the regionals.

When I instructed I met a heck of a lot of wealthy individuals who have helped me out in some way along my aviation journey. Many I consider friends. As one poster pointed out, you could meet someone who puts you in the right seat of a citation or King Air. That could lead to a career position for all you know. Five to six months instructing full-time is nothing. You'll walk away a far better pilot with even that short period of time teaching. Probably get to fly some really cool airplanes too.

If you followed the above plan and get hired at a regional before let's say, Thanksgiving, you'll probably have 1000 hours with 500 jet by the end of summer 2008 and although you'll have a nice beginning resume, still won't know much about flying. That's the point, thru sarcasm in many cases, that some of the more experienced flyers here are trying to communicate. Again, spend the summer and a bit more teaching and you'll come away a much better pilot for it.

Mr. I.

Why flight instruct? Why be paid dismal wages if any at all, begging for one more bloody hour of multi time, or glass time, or complex time, etc. when you can be paid dismal wages while getting the multiengine turbine time?

Get the **** airline job, learn how to fly there, and move on to the majors. If you have a feather in your cap to flight instruct, do so on your off days or after you've retired.

These opportunities come around about once a decade, go for it now. Let others whine about how they had to spend XXX years making dirt before flying the big iron. Keep your chortle to yourself until you're sitting left seat at your 'retirement' airline.

Listen here Miss JediNein,

....nevermind.

(typical girl, you won't listen or understand anyway. There's too much to explain here...besides, your gender has afforded females breaks up the wazoo so why flight instruct, right??!!!....)

Last edited:

Learn how to fly with 50 people sitting in the back and a Captain that may have had some bad salad the night before??? Great advice!!

Develop your skills thru instructing(you'll still get opportunities to fly yourself) over the next half year and then try for a jet or turboprop. For christ sakes jedi, the guy has 250 hours!!! I have over 250 hours of instrument time and 400 hours of night time and I'm not so sure I'd be ready to put a 45,000 pound jet down in icing conditions with a blowing crosswind!

Mr. I.

I think JediNein has to be flaming. How stupid can you be to make a post like that?

Go make some pancakes and clean the toilet bowl. I like my steak medium rare.

just realize if you go to a ********************ty regional like pinnacle, TSA or Mesa to build time for better regionals, that it's going to be just that, ********************ty.

If your goal is to get on with a better one, which it should be, force yourself to not get comfortable at at substandard regional. When you got the time leave.

Age 65 rule coming up and there always could be another slowdown. When the music stops you want to have a good chair to sit on.

Great, you don't want to instruct or see the value in that. But it's O.K. for you to get on at an airline and expect your captain to INSTRUCT you and teach you how to fly there.

I'm sure the passengers in the back would love to know that while the FAR's require two pilots on their flight, only one is actually qualified and experienced enough to be there. This attitude shows the difference between having an FO that is a productive and contributing crewmember vs. a seat filler. Something I see quite a bit throughout the industry with some of the very low-time pilots........too stupid to be scared. As much as you don't want to admit it, experience counts....

Latest resources

Back