Low pilot pay called 'dirty little secret'

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Apples and Oranges

I don't buy it there are plenty of airlines that offer low prices and pay the pilot a good wage. JB, AT, Frontier...and SWA. It seems to be an issue with the airline that has the regionals flying for them that cannot get the prices low enough with their own people flying it at their wage level.
That's because they (JB, AT, Frontier...and SWA) cherry pick larger markets and don't service the little towns that are only served by regionals and smaller aircraft. The regionals are providing feed to everyone though (including JB, AT, Frontier...and SWA) from those smaller markets even though not everyone is paying for the feed. Apples and oranges.

That's because they (JB, AT, Frontier...and SWA) cherry pick larger markets and don't service the little towns that are only served by regionals and smaller aircraft. The regionals are providing feed to everyone though (including JB, AT, Frontier...and SWA) from those smaller markets even though not everyone is paying for the feed. Apples and oranges.

Well last time I checked Buffalo is not a small town. Name a city that an RJ does not go into and is only mainline (from a Legacy) bet you can't do it.

I spoke to airfrance regional carrier's pilot and they said the entry level rj fo starts at 40000 euro per yr which roughly 53000$. I know they have higher taxes but it's all the same if u live and based in jfk or lax. The tax and the expenses off set each other but again they value thier employees and pilots and here in the good ole us of a we're just a tool to opreate the machine.:puke:

I spoke to airfrance regional carrier's pilot and they said the entry level rj fo starts at 40000 euro per yr which roughly 53000$. I know they have higher taxes but it's all the same if u live and based in jfk or lax. The tax and the expenses off set each other but again they value thier employees and pilots and here in the good ole us of a we're just a tool to opreate the machine.:puke:

I could be mistaken, but taxes for pilots are somewhat low in France. At least compared with other professions in the country. I think they fall into the same tax level as artists. And yes, pilots are much higher regarded in the EU than in the US. What a shame! :(

If the airlines would offer a livable wage I would probably go. But 16000-24000 give me a break. Who could live on that? Not anyone that isnt living with mom and dad!

Wasn't it Colgan that didn't allow crewmembers to pick up food stamps in uniform? Some regional had it written in their GOM ...

Low Pay....who can we thank?
-Well, let's start with management. Thank you!
-Then we can go to the mainline carriers who had the chance to put these RJ's on the property....but they were too cool to fly small airplanes. So management used it to their advantage, we're back to thanking management.
-Then we can thank ALPA. For "equally" representing the regionals and majors. For allowing regionals undercut each other on the same equipment.
Look at the Comair guys. They're being dismantled, while all the other DCI carriers are picking up their flying....which are all ALPA carriers.
Glad ALPA would stick up for the pilot group that actually had the balls to stand up for what they believed in.

A pay increase wouldn't even be noticable to the passengers on their tickets, it wouldn't even be $1 per ticket.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back