Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
Are you really turning 49?

Good luck and press on with your dream! There's a lot of good jobs out there, don't overlook 135 as a career. It's not all night flying with junky airplanes, but to get those better 135 jobs you'll need at least twice the mins of the regionals or know somebody.

Yup, turning 49 in two weeks and thanks for the encouragment! I am going to take one step at a time. I'm thinking about becomming a CFI and then we'll see what happens. I would have had my PPL last year, but I lost my medical for eight months. It has taken a lot of dedication on my part. I work a "corporate" job where I work 50 hours per week and I have two sons who play hockey and that takes up about five days per week. The only time I have been able to do bookwork is before work. I'm usually out the door at 6:00, drive to SNA and study from 6:30 - 8:00 AM before work. I have always wanted this and I am totally determined to succeed, no matter what. I read somewhere last year, I don't know if it was Mesa, or Skywest, but one of these companies hired a pilot who just turned 54. My CFI thought it was stupid for the company to hire this guy, but at least they won't have to worry about the dude going to a major.

Spuds, airlines never lower their minimums, they only redefine competitive hiring minimums. Which in the future will be the FAA Comm/MEL/Inst flight time. Just watch we get closer every day due to this looming pilot shortage.

Pilotyip, the mins I mentioned were for SIC, not PIC, of course the PIC will never go down, ATP requirements are ATP requirements...

PIC roger that

Spuds roger that, PIC not SIC, 1200 135 IFR minimums

Last edited:
When pay goes up dramatically, that's evidence of a pilot shortage. Simple economics.

Everything else is propaganda.

lowtimedriver said:
I have always wanted this and I am totally determined to succeed, no matter what. I read somewhere last year, I don't know if it was Mesa, or Skywest, but one of these companies hired a pilot who just turned 54. My CFI thought it was stupid for the company to hire this guy, but at least they won't have to worry about the dude going to a major.

Getting hired at SkyWest at 50+ is definately possible. Living in Socal on FO wages will be much harder.

I say again; There is not now a pilot shortage, there has never been a pilot shortage, and there never will be a pilot shortage. My data comes from the 103 years of the history of powered flight, not a forcast in Aviation Week and Space Technology Magazine. I will acknowledge that people with various motivations have been writing about a pilot shortage for 103 years

GogglesPisano said:
When pay goes up dramatically, that's evidence of a pilot shortage. Simple economics.

Everything else is propaganda.
I hear you hoss, we haven't had an adjustment to our payscale in five years. Not complaining, the bright side is that we were not asked to fly any additional hours and we didn't have to take any pay cuts. However, we're long over due for a cost of living adjustment where I work at.

I think the operative word with the "looming pilot shortage" is going to be the shortage of "qualified" pilots...whatever the f that means.

Latest resources

Back