• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looks like it might be over for VA...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The way this economy is - why would anyone hope that somebody loses their job? I am surprised at some of these comments.

Remember - the fight is against management, not the employess! I am sure we all know at least someone who is at VA who was laid off from our current airline - why would you want them to get laid off!

Metrojet

Why would I want them to get laid off?

Well let's start with why wouldn't I want them to get laid off?

First of all A non-probationary First Officer at Alaska Airlines made over $100 an hour...almost what a top VA Captain makes today. So here we are trying to make the case to our company that the pay cut forced on us in an arbitration was draconian and we not only deserve to get paid at least as much as we did 4 years ago...but we should get MORE. But along comes this fly-by-night "Brit in Liberty's clothing" company, skirting our laws, paying their pilots a fraction of what we are getting $95 f*ning dollars an hour to be a CAPTAIN of an airliner going directly against us in our bread-and-butter markets...Giving our management an excuse to cry poverty!

Now don't get me wrong, although VA has been a big obstacle to progress thus far, I don't fault the individual pilots for taking the jobs, you are welcome on our jumpseats anytime as I hope we are welcome on yours, If you grow the cahones to Strike we will not fly your struck work, etc. etc., yada yada.

However, VA has thus far flown because they have skirted the law...though technically in compliance with the letter of the law few would argue they are alingned in the spirit. When you skirt the law like this a company better be damn sure every 'i' is dotted and 't' crossed.

Well my company and others now believe they have found a couple of undotted 'i's and maybe an uncrossed 't'. I agree and I cheer their efforts and I hope the DOT will see it our way before any more damage can be done....and don't be offended if I pound a couple of nails in your coffin myself if given the opportunity.

Later

The government in this country could give two sh!ts about the workers. When VA was applying to start up, and pitting SF against other cities to get tax breaks, the governator fell all over himself to welcome them into town. (with millions of TAXPAYER dollars in breaks and incentives).

Say what you will about UA, they built SFO and supplied nearly 10,000 GOOD PAYING jobs to the bay area. Was any governmental money available to them in the post 9/11 tailspin?

Of course not. Swchwarzenhuggen and the gay elite loved the idea of free floating RB who actually brushes elbows with the stars coming to town and shaking things up!! No matter that the payscale for their employees was nothing short of despicable, and the claim to be American-run was a wink wink nod nod to the knowing. VA actually responded to claims of not being American run by running a PR campaign to publicize the fact that they had fired Fred Reid go become compliant! Fred Reid is an American!!

For those of you that say the laws are antiquated - fine!! Change them. In the meantime throw the limey bastard and his employee - subjagating ways back across the pond.

At Alaska we lost an FO to VA. All he would talk about is the low pay at Alaska. I hope he never makes it anywhere. Yeah buddy you know who I am !!

At Alaska we lost an FO to VA. All he would talk about is the low pay at Alaska. I hope he never makes it anywhere. Yeah buddy you know who I am !!

At JB, we had a f-ckstick that actually finished up IOE by telling his Check Airman that he was leaving the following week for VA.

I'm all for going to the place that makes sense, but show some class for Pete's sake.

Of course VA is not saying anything. They never do. They never want to say anything but how their Inflight entertainment system works or what half naked women they will be flying around as a marketing ploy. VA is most likely in violation as I write this but our govt. could care less. It is that simple. They do not care. If they did, they would stop them yesturday. How can the DOT give them such hassles to get certified in the first place then when it falls apart, they do nothing? I would bet my life if us American citizens started an airline in the U.K. and we lost our British funding, we would be locked out at the jetway. Our govt. views it like a game as they to most everything else in aviation. The worst part is everysay they allow VA to operate in violation of their so called agreement with the DOT, the US airlines are being disgraced by a huge slap in the industry face by the very govt. that wrote the rules to protect the US owned companies. If VA has lined up new money....use it NOW. Great..I could not be more happy. But, to allow them to operate illegal, well I think we should fine the DOT everyday they allow it. But, like I said, they just don't care......

The DOT moves so slowly that I doubt anything will happen for quite some time. I also think that they are in no hurry to take any quick action that will result in a company being shut down and jobs being lost in this economy. My guess is that VA will either find new investors or take advantage of some technicality in the law to comply. They must have known a long time ago that there was a good chance the investors would bail out and they must have planned for it. Whatever happens, I will be very, very surprised if the DOT pulls VA's operating authority even if they aren't complying with the law. It's more likely that they get a slap on the wrist and a small fine. If Branson has friends in the right places (on either side of the pond) with enough pull VA has no worries; that's just the way things work.

Latest resources

Back