• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looks like Gulfstream got the WSJ's attention

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Absolutely false. You don't know what you're talking about. I've personally seen several captains turn down aircraft due to items that were MEL'able, yet in their opinion the item in question was required for safe conduct of the flight. Period. Dot. End of discussion. I have myself, personally turned down aircraft with MEL items for exactly the same reason.

Please tell us what company you work for that does not allow their Captains to exercise their judgment (on the safer side) concerning the airworthiness of the aircraft, because I don't want me or my family flying on it.

grrrrr, I'm back. You missed text in my post where I said, "OUT OF HAND". That means it's in the MEL but you deny it anyway without apparent reason.

Some ding dong above brought up an APU in summer. If it's that hot I'd turn it down too. The point is I'd have a reason to usurp the MEL. I've been singing the same song all along. If it's in the MEL then it's okay unless the PIC still feels it's unsafe. However, a deferred TCAS is still a go item. There should be an extra-ordinary reason (like it's wicked hot in the APU discussion) to over ride the MEL. You can not just say you disagree with the MEL, here it comes..., "out of hand". You tell you Chief Pilot that the MEL is wrong and 95% of you are looking for a new job. Period. Dot. End of sentence.

The GIA pilot set himself up 1, by working for a scum bag outfit like GIA and 2. by being retarded (much like a bunch of you guys).

Nobody is claiming the MEL is wrong. We're all talking about refusing legally deferred airplanes for additional reasons.

The main point you don't get is that the issue here is not the valid merits or lack of merits of safety decisions, but rather WHO is making those decisions. Do you want the chief pilot having to sign off on every go/no go item (especially at a dirtbag outfit), or do you want the captain making the hard choices? Any person can err with either too much risk or too much conservatism, but it's least likely to be a poor decision if the decision-maker has to ride in the darn thing. You know you agree with me.

Some ding dong above brought up an APU in summer. If it's that hot I'd turn it down too. The point is I'd have a reason to usurp the MEL. I've been singing the same song all along. If it's in the MEL then it's okay unless the PIC still feels it's unsafe. However, a deferred TCAS is still a go item.

I'm going out to Freeport. I have a brand new FO who probably does know his head form a hole in the ground. I now can't go above 10K so I am going to be see and avoid with controllers are who sometimes marginal. I'd rather get another airplane. Or if I have to keep it, send me some place where I keep the FAA sort fo controllers.

How's that?

I'm going out to Freeport. I have a brand new FO who probably does know his head form a hole in the ground. I now can't go above 10K so I am going to be see and avoid with controllers are who sometimes marginal. I'd rather get another airplane. Or if I have to keep it, send me some place where I keep the FAA sort fo controllers.

How's that?
If you are going to Freeport, chances are you aren't going over 10k anyway.

A TCAS is not an air to air intercept radar that is going to give you exact positions of aircraft around you. you are still see and avoid. only marginally better. How many mid-air's happen out there in the islands? None really come to mind.

You can refuse an airplane for any reason. You just have to be able to back up the reason. No VCS in summer.....no problem. No TCAS on a clear day..you got a problem.

Disregard, I just checked the entry and it has been completely whitewashed.

Maybe the site is policed by the advertising dept at the airline?

It's back up on Wiki. The new PR manager must have went home for the weekend.

The Wall Street Journal has a new article out. This time they say that 3M was letting unauthorized passengers ride in the jumpseat. These articles were pretty informative this past week, but would someone tell me where the jumpseat is on a 1900?

I stand corrected.

Way back, Avtar used to have prospective students ride in the jumpseat of the Shorts

Latest resources

Back