Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looks Like Delta Will Be #3 Again...Now Who To Buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agreed, if stock price is any indication, DAL couldn't afford AK. It would cost way to much to purchase just for the increase in market share they would get. Alaska is like Hawaiian, they each have a strong position in the market's they serve and a very loyal customer base. They are worth more as stand alone airlines than they are as merger fodder.

True dat

Allegiant LOL

Although I concur with your chuckle, actually Allegiant would make a nice investment under the corporate umbrella of another airline. It would not make sense to "merge" under any circumstance but keeping Allegiant as a standalone can make someone consistent money. They have a model that works and has currently been profitable for the last 36 quarters and has more cash than debt. Not a supercarrier by any means but it is profitable! Still, they are better off standalone only.

Funny how we all sound like as if we are on the Board of Directors. I hope no one buys us, but Alaska is a small fish in a big pond. It is what it is!

Oil refineries are nice and all, but will Delta be happy at number three, behind super-American and United?

Ham:
If you know anything about Richard Anderson, he doesn't care about being the biggest. He cares about being the best. Unlike Parker, he doesn't have an ego to float. He was very good at bringing NW/DL together with relatively little to no issues. AMR/US will be a disaster in the making. Parker has shown he can't run a "merged airline." What makes him think he can get AA/US together? The only thing at stake here is Parkers massive ego, and the livelihood of all US/AA/AM West employees. I will be watching this from the sidelines with lots of popcorn. Will be one wild ride.

JMHO
YMMV

Agreed, if stock price is any indication, DAL couldn't afford AK. It would cost way to much to purchase just for the increase in market share they would get. Alaska is like Hawaiian, they each have a strong position in the market's they serve and a very loyal customer base. They are worth more as stand alone airlines than they are as merger fodder.

DL could always use AK's cash on hand to pay for part of the acquisition, right? And there was a stock split. If US could finance a buyout of AA, anything could be possible. But, I think they like things the way they are now. My guess would be an airbus operator if anything happens at all. Just a guess!

Godspeed!

The OYSter

When an airline has a niche, they get looked at closely by competitors. Nobody is too expensive. If Parker can buy AA, anyone can finance anything. I have a feeling the second round of consolidation will be underway soon after the AA and US deal is figured out. The goal appears to be less competition, period. It will be a bumpy ride for some.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Ham:
If you know anything about Richard Anderson, he doesn't care about being the biggest. He cares about being the best.
YMMV

haha .funniest thing I ever heard. Have you ever flown on Delta. Take Atlanta or New York, throw into that the NWA nasties, gate agents from hell and a "the world done me wrong" attitude. I guess it is the best in a sense!

Ham:
If you know anything about Richard Anderson, he doesn't care about being the biggest. He cares about being the best. Unlike Parker, he doesn't have an ego to float.

Richard Anderson cares about Richard Anderson, saying that guy doesn't have an ego? Well, maybe compared to Trump he doesn't :laugh:

haha .funniest thing I ever heard. Have you ever flown on Delta. Take Atlanta or New York, throw into that the NWA nasties, gate agents from hell and a "the world done me wrong" attitude. I guess it is the best in a sense!
I'm glad you're amused. If you look at the service provided by Delta compared to Us Airways, you'll see the difference. Parker, in his genius, decided to decrease weight on all his airplanes by removing inflight entertainment. Remember when US Airways started to charge for drinks?

Richard Anderson cares about Richard Anderson, saying that guy doesn't have an ego? Well, maybe compared to Trump he doesn't :laugh:
Dumb. I'm saying compared to Doug Parker he doesn't have an ego. If you look at the management teams running airlines today, I don't think you'll find better (I hate to use this word) "talent." The ONLY reason Parker wants into the game is because he has to. As I have stated, "merging," US/AA will be fun to watch. Parker has had how many years to integrate US/AM West? How'd that work out for him?

Latest resources

Back