Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4G5 said:
Anyone try any skiing at Alyeska?

I've only hiked the trails there in the summer, but I understand the skiing is great. If nothing else, a drive down there for lunch is well worth it.

This time of year is slim pickin's due to lack of daylight. Make use of what light you have and get out and sight see. The other 20 hours you can spend at TC's joint ;). Careful you don't become a sourdough however :D

If you're into cross country skiing, there a plenty of trails around the area. Beware of Bullwinkle though. Bulls are still testy this time of year. The bears should be hybernating now so no worries there. Kincaid park just southwest of the airport has some great trails.

There is a fairly new restaurant down on Ship Creek called The Bridge (if I remember correctly) that has great food. Falcon Capt listed the best in town. Simon and Seafort's is by far the best, IMHO.

The Aviation Museum, as mentioned, is a good place to kill some time, as is the museum downtown which has a great chronicle on the '64 earthquake. Speaking of which, the last time I was there we had one big enough to rock the furnture in the hotel.

The Millinium is a good place to stay. The lounge off the lobby is a good place to kill some time. You'll also meet some characters there. Big airline and heavy cargo pilot hangout, mostly UPS. as well as a local pit stop for locals on their way home.

Have a great trip. Be sure to get back there in the summer.

2000Flyer

By the way, ERA no longer operates DC3's, so those flights have ended.

I am afraid that Anchorage has gotten kind of tame over the years. Use to be some bars that would pat down for weapons before they would let you in. If you didn't have a weapon, they would give one just keep things fair.

Get used to the idea that there'll be 5 guys for every woman in the bar too. I used to like Humpies if it's still around.

G4G5 said:
Anyone try any skiing at Alyeska?
I skiied Alyeska a number of years ago when I caught a space-A hop to Elmendorf. It was pretty good - not world-class, but not bad.

There is a teeny tiny little ski area right in town (or there used to be, anyway) that is easy to get to, good for killing a couple hours and you don't need to drive out of the city. Can't remember the name, but it was very small, just right for carving a few easy turns and limbering up the ski muscles.

Last edited:
Hilltop is the in-town ski spot. Elmendorf has a little slope on base. Alyeska is really nice if you can get out there with some fresh snow. It has been cold as heck for a couple of weeks but we have got some southerly flow for a few days now and it is surprisingly warm at the moment.
Max

Jeff Helgeson said:
1. Take a float plane ride up to the Kinic? glacier. It is cool to see the seaplane base and fly up to the glacier. You'll get a dorky ball cap.

2. rent a car and drive to Seward for a 1/2 day cruise with lunch. You see the rookeries and some glaciers.

2. book a two-day bus/train/boat tour from ANC to Valdese.

4......alright, them hit TC favorite haunting places!!!

not to flame you cuz a Knik glacier flight would be really cool in a floatplane. . .but it would be a really rough landing this time of year!

Bush Co. rocks

if you want to hook up with some 'skimo chicks head to the gaslight lounge downtown. . .lol

HangerRat said:
if you want to hook up with some 'skimo chicks head to the gaslight lounge downtown. . .lol

Uh, yeah, I'll get back to you on that one... :eek: TC

Latest resources

Back