Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bosdrx

Hey all,

I'm an RJ Captain for a regional airline. Lately I've been thinking about getting out of the airlines. I've got a good friend over at NetJets that has offered to help me get a resume in if i was interested in going that way.... So far, from what he's told me, I'm interested, but i need more information before I send in a resume. I'm wondering if anyone has gone this way. Maybe some pros and cons? I'm in the beginning of my research, and any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you live in/very near one of our 5 domiciles, go for it. Otherwise do yourself a favor and don't bother.

Pros....great variety and time off.

cons...no travel benefits.

The only thing i miss from the airline is the travel benefits. I used to take the family to Hawaii once or twice a year. Not anymore. Other than that, this place is great.

oh yeah, I hope you live in one of the five domiciles, otherwise, you wont like it so much.

Although not always Hawaii I have been able to take the wife and/or kids on one big vacation and a couple smaller ones each year since I started with netjets. I get enough airline miles and plenty of hotel points to cover it all, and positive space I might add. Standby travel bites. I've sat with the huge list of standby travelers in the PHNL airport trying to get out of town, no thanks.

Just something else for those of you thinking of coming here from a regional. Some of the regional guys complain about...

1. Not knowing where that next beer will be at. Airline guys have regular overnights with their favoite bar. At the frax, you rarely stay in the same place twice, or know in advance as to where you will be.

2. Lack of commoradity (i am sure butchered that one). No crewroom socialization. Its you and a partner for a week, without going into the MSP or DFW or ORD crewroom after every roundtrip to check on the latest crewroom gossip.

3. again the domicile. we do have a hand full of newhires quiting, I am sure that the domicile is a big issue for some.

Good things...

1. You are really on your own. You check in via the bb. Get all of your info over the bb. Its you and a partner out on a 7 day trip to ????? with ?????.

2. This company and chief pilot have NO idea who I am. I have no idea who my direct boss is. I have heard of his name, but have no clue who he really is.

3. 7/7. Packing and going out for 7 days sucks. But coming home for 7 days is great. The reserve schedule offers more variety (5/2, 4,3, etc). Havent done it though.

4. The company treats us pretty good (my opinion).

5. Not dependent on UAL, AA, DAL, NWA.....remember your job at UEX, AE, DConn, COEX, is only their until the next scumbag under bids you.

Hope this helps.

The domicile issue is pretty big. There have already been at least 12 domicile based pilots who have left so far in 2007 and at least another 30 who left last year. You commute on your dime and that is causing a lot of problems for many pilots here. That said, it is well worth it for me. I moved to a domicile and I don't really like any of the choices. I will move away from my current domicile as soon as there is homebasing or more domiciles to choose from. I fully understand this probably won't be until a new contract is reached, but the current domicile system does suck. Make sure you really are willing to live in one of those places (or near by) if you want to make a go of it. It's still a great job that I highly recommend. Good luck whatever you decide.

There have already been at least 12 domicile based pilots who have left so far in 2007 and at least another 30 who left last year. You commute on your dime and that is causing a lot of problems for many pilots here.

How far are most of these guys commuting? I live a three hour drive from cmh. I don't and never have commuted, but I don't think a 3 hour drive once a week would be too bad. But, I don't know if there is more to it than that...

There are guys commuting from all over. Some are buying tickets, some drive. A good friend of mine drives 5+ hours to CMH. I presume that you are in CVG, I know of several guys doing that drive, doesn't seem like it would be that bad.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back