Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looking for one Hawaii approach plate...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can any of you Island Air guys give me an idea of your typical schedules? # of days worked per month, time you start, time you stop, how many legs you fly a day. Where does the training take place, do they pay you while in training, do they provide a hotel during training? Thanx for any info!

dondk

some people do have more than one job here to pull it off. if you have an SO it can help out greatly if they can get a "real job" to balance things out. once you make captain its not so bad. if not you can plan on sharing an apartment with other people. the rent here is comparable to the bay area and some places in LA. its possible to get an appartment for 900-1000/mo. maybe even less in some cases.

some advice on places to reside in hawaii. be aware that in some areas there are a lot of duplexes or "apartments" that are built onto or out of the side of a house. my opinion on those are "dont go there". i would suggest getting a temporary place to stay while you scout out a more permanent place. you may be able to room with pilots that are already here, or you could stay at a hotel or hostel (hostels are about 20/nite last i checked).

your needs will really dictate where you're going to live. i can best tell you where NOT to move. do not move to the towns of waianae or nanakuli. not only is the drive really long from there, those towns have a history of not being the most welcoming. its not anywhere like it used to be, but there are a lot of better places to live. it is also the hottest and driest there.

waimanalo, wailua, haleiwa and the north shore in general along with hauula, punaluu, kaaawa are all really nice places to live but the drives are long from those places. (wailua will probably have some cheap rent because its "remote". keep in mind that our definition of "long drive" is much different than what most people on the mainland are used to. i live 20-30 min from the airport and thats perfect for me and almost no traffic. 45min-1hr + is a long drive here. mainly because sometimes a lot of it is done a small road/highway like when you're coming from hauula.

if you dont mind living in an apartment building and want to be close to the airport you can look at places in the area called Salt Lake. places can be fairly cheap, its about 5-10 min from the airport. drawbacks are you have to live in a building, if you have more than 1 car you have to make sure your place comes with 2 parking stalls because street parking there sucks... not impossible but it sucks. also another place with relatively cheaper apartments (farther from the airport but IMO a nicer area) is makiki.

shipping. if you still have your fedex discount you could consider using that. but first check your yellow pages for "freight forwarders" the prices can vary greatly from company to company, depending on the routing each one has to take and the contracts that they have, so check them all. its much cheaper than using a moving company or many other means. some charge by weight and others charge by cubic foot.

if you have any places you are considering or want more specific info on a certain area or place, PM me and i'll give you as much info as i can.

8driver

tweety

typical schedules. we work between 15 and 19 days a month (bid line), 20 days reserve. the rest of the summer will probably be filled with mostly 19 day lines. we have preferential bidding and we dont RON so we dont have 4on 3off type trips. your days can fall anywhere in the month within the FAR restrictions (7 days, etc). depending on your seniority you can get long stretches of days off without using vacation. i have had 10 scheduled days off in a row before.

the lines are broken down into AM, PM and mixed. AM lines currently have showtimes of 0430, 0515, 0535, 0610, etc. we have had 8am showtimes too. the AM people usually get off between 12 and 1. sometimes a little earlier and sometimes later, it changes around a bit when the schedule changes. PM lines have showtimes of of around 1130, 1230, etc. and they get off at about 8-9pm. we have had times where some lines got off as early as 7pm and some that didnt get off til as late as 10pm.

legs per day is between 6 and 10. we have had times where we only had 8 and 10 leg days. currently we have 1 6-leg, 2 10-leg and the rest are 8 legs.

the ground school takes place at the classroom in the hangar. the sim is at flight safety in seattle. they do not pay you while you are in ground school, and they do not give you a hotel in ground school. at the sim each person is given their own hotel room. many people stay at a hostel here while they're in ground school and wind up becomming roommates with some of their classmates. some people here are already sharing a place and from time to time they have room and they get filled up with a new hire.

if you are hired and are going to be out here for class and you want to see if there are any vacancies in any of the pilot houses, PM me and i'll check around.

8driver

Re: tweety

dash8driver said:

they do not pay you while you are in ground school, and they do not give you a hotel in ground school.

8driver

Actually, that's not accurate. They do pay $10/hr during your initial ground school which before taxes amounts to $400/wk. However, they do not give you a hotel in ground school.

You also get $10/hr while you are on company-time in CPT which is I think 4 hours, and you get your 1st year FO pay for all the time you spend in the sim, but not your guarantee yet.

Hi Guys,

Been reading all the posts and I'm actually
excited about flying again. It gets depressing when
you get your dream job and right out of trainging you get
furloughed, and then no one wants to talk to you unless you
will resign your seniority number. I've been on furlough since
Oct after getting my dream job. I do have recall rights
but it will be a few years before they call.
I read that Island Air is hiring and they want to talk to
furloughed major people. I sent them a resume.

Can some of you that interviewed recently tell me
how long was it after you sent your resume before they
called you.
Good luck to the ones that recently got hired.

Hog

Latest resources

Back