Looking for feedback on KMMU vs KTEB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fblowjets

We go to TEB all the time. It appears to be getting worse with all the runway closers, LANNA always being closed as a departure point. I am looking at using KMMU instead. Does anyone have any problems operating out this airport? KHPN is out of the question. Does MMU fall under the same controllers and issues?

Thanks
FB

We go to TEB all the time. It appears to be getting worse with all the runway closers, LANNA always being closed as a departure point. I am looking at using KMMU instead. Does anyone have any problems operating out this airport? KHPN is out of the question. Does MMU fall under the same controllers and issues?

Thanks
FB

I think when there's a SWAP going on, any airport out there is hosed. Maybe MMU would allow you to sneak out but I doubt it--those TMU guys are pretty cagey. ;)

We did EWR a lot but there you get stuck in the CAL pushes.

MMU is probably worth a try, though.

TC

My ATC buddy (JAX) says when they're given in-trail spacing req's for NY area the following are included:

KJFK
KEWR
KLGA
KTEB
KHPN
KMMU
And several others

It would stand to reason when outbound in-trail spacing is bumped up that LANNA is LANNA regardelss of which airport you depart from.

Guido,

Your spot on! LANNA is the point that backs up everything for those airports. Have spent numerous hours in the hold pad waiting for our slot time!

I would say from my experience at the 2 airports, you may be better off at TEB. I'm pretty sure MMU and TEB use the same departure gates, and if LANNA is shut down at TEB, it will also be shut down for MMU. Additionally, I've been told that for every 3 launches off of TEB, MMU may get 1.

The bottom line is, when it seems like the NY airport that you are at sucks at that particular time, they are all sucking at that same time.

SWF/ISP and a helicopter into the city for your pax ;)

Don't now about SWF, but ISP is outside Class B airspace and doesn't even have delays during lousy wx, including pouring rain.

Drive to NYC outside rush hour is about 1 hour - during rush hour don't bother, you're looking at possibly 2 hours - twin engined chopper runs around $4k for the trip to midtown Manhattan.

You can save that on the amount of flying you're not doing as well as cheap fuel prices, and depending on which FBO you choose, no ramp/parking fees either. PM me if you need further info on where to go there.

ISP CAN be a problem. We were trying to get out one night with a line of storms approaching NYC and got the "forever" ground stop.

We re-filed over HTO-ACK then back west. It turned out we got a re-route HTO-RBV and were able to turn back west way before we got to HTO. Tops were below 430 so we were easily able to climb out over the weather.

SWF is far enough north to use different fixes, I guess.

TC

Smaller runway at MMU, but we have never had a problem getting in or out of there. Nice FBO and not nearly as crowded as TEB.

ISP CAN be a problem. We were trying to get out one night with a line of storms approaching NYC and got the "forever" ground stop.

TC

I truthfyully don't see the issue here - would you WANT to take-off and go directly into "the line of storms approaching"? A ground stop in this case makes perfect sense to me, but the typical stops at TEB, MMU and the entire NY area are based on airlines getting favored treatment from controllers. If it's one biz jet into TEB or five airliners into EWR, guess who gets priority - hint, the segment of our industry that gives controllers rides!!!!

Latest resources

Back