• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looking for CFI's with 200+Dual Given

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Haven't done much CFI'ing on the "outside" in awhile, but....... I was making $10 a flight hour as a CFI in 1975. Have things progressed that little - pay-wise for CFI's - in over a quarter of a century?

people will do it for less than $10/hr.

so yes, no progress has been made...

B

Why don't you take your posting to a message board where people aren't interested in flying for a living, Nosehair? Thanks.

Sincerely,

A Professional Pilot

Thanks, FatesPawn, you're right, this isn't the right place for this post.
You're all right - the instructing profession has not improved paywise at all - matter of fact, it's worse!!
Forty years ago, I started at $5.00 an hour, which we all considered was "intern" pay till you built hours - well, guess what? There's always somebody who will do it for less or nothing.
The business man cannot compete with cheap, albeit inexperienced, labor.
So, I'm not looking for a "professional pilot", I am looking for a "professional instructor", one who's compensation in life is more than a buck, or two.

So, I'm not looking for a "professional pilot", I am looking for a "professional instructor", one who's compensation in life is more than a buck, or two.

With all due respect to your many hours of experience, and the fact that you are somewhere near my age, if you are looking for a "professional instructor", the ones I have spoken to locally all agree that the cost of such an individual starts somewhere in the $20 per hour range when the instructor is not paying for his own airplane and other business costs. If he is paying for those things, his instruction starts at $30 per hour plus hobbs time for the rental charge.

$10 per hour is a rate that you pay a kid in college because you have him over a barrel and because he is willing to defer his worth to some ambiguous time in the future that may never come.

In that case, he is not a professional instructor.

Nosehair

With all due respect, there is a saying "pay peanuts, get monkeys". The "professional" flight instructors you get for this might not be exactly what you are looking for and if they are expected to teach JAR guys, better watch out - you could find yourself in a situation where your students know more than the instructor!

Also, instructing is not just about how well you fly/building hours/what you can teach, it's also about close rapport with a customer/student and you really need several skills for all of these traits. I doubt very much that someone who is willing to do all this for $10/hr is going to have all these attributes. But...I may well be wrong.

At any rate $10 is pretty insulting - bartenders get paid more than that and I'm sure others can think of plenty other entry-level jobs that are way above that level.

For the record, I have done "professional" flight instructing @ two commercial flight schools (not flying clubs - there is a difference) - one in Europe and one in US both of which paid far more than the $10 and that was more than 10 YEARS ago!! It seems like we are going backwards here, folks!!! One more thing, if the instructor is only going to be paid $10/hr and I presume that is going to be taxed, the student is paying for the plane rental plus instructor time, are they going to do "reduced" rates for the aircraft or is this going to be a nice little profit for the training organization utilizing cheap labor?!!! You do the math. Might as well get Indonesian or Chinese instructors to come over here and start teaching if that is the plan. I'm sure THEY would do it for $5/hr or less, maybe even minimum wage.......

Geez...When I was a flight instructor (late 90s) I worked at a company that was completely bare-bones, teaching European students to fly twins. I never heard of anyone being paid that low of wages! I made $25 an hour, more than I made once I had supposedly hit the big time at American Eagle.

We had an instructor once who tried to undercut the rest of us by lowering her rates to $15 an hour if it was in a twin. We pressured her as a group and her rates went right back up to the posted rates for the school.

You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to whore out your flight instructors, and preying on pilots who are trying to make a living.

Entry level...

One of the stories I covered in a newscast was the trouble that a certain fast food franchise was having in hiring workers near Harvard. Seems they had to offer at least $10.50 in order to get anyone to agree to work there.

That was in 1982, my friends.

$10 an hour for a flight instructor? Hello?????

Thanks, boys and girls, keep those cards and letters comin' in...I am getting a real education here...I had no idea...

Latest resources

Back