• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looking for advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was wrongfully terminated, apologized to by the CP, and hired back with back pay, seniority, and records cleared of any wrong doing.

bandit317 said:
I was wrongfully terminated, apologized to by the CP, and hired back with back pay, seniority, and records cleared of any wrong doing.
While unfair at the beginning, your experience had a good end. Explain it fully on the app and bring supporting documents to the interview.

Your company did the right thing by apologizing. Not too many companies apologize to wronged employees.

Being honest here is your best option, like Hugh said, this may score some points for you. The most important thing here is that you learned from it and it made you a better pilot.

What airline is it? Maybe someone here from the same airline can have better info from the inside.

Absolutely, positively DO NOT LIE, CONCEAL OR TRY TO DECEIVE your prospective employer. Be straightforward, and even show that you learned something from the episode. Any company worth working for would not fail to hire you solely because of the situation as you describe it.

Don't blow this. This job is an opportunity of a lifetime. You will kick yourself until the day you die if you are less than straightforward, you get the job, they find out at some point in the future, and you get fired. In that case, you will NEVER get another chance at a major airline job.

Trust me, I know very well someone who was less than truthful on a major airline application, was hired, and then terminated months later when the employer discovered his onfuscation.

They will find out if you try to deceive them. Even if it is years later, they will have grounds to terminate you.

I hope I have left no room for doubt as to how I think you should handle this situation. Everyone here is giving you good advice. Honesty really is the best policy.

Good luck, and be positive.

Last edited:
Go see Cage consulting and get some top notch interview prep. This is the best advice I was ever given that I was stupid enought to ignore.

pilotyip said:
Go see Cage consulting and get some top notch interview prep. This is the best advice I was ever given that I was stupid enought to ignore.
Yip has a point. Our member, Resume Writer, is a great lady with many years of experience in airlines, H.R. and interview coaching. Get in touch with her.

bandit317 said:
Thanks for everyone's reply. Still nervous about disclosing it, since the situation only exists if I bring it up.

Not exactly, they ask a direct question. You gotta answer it - you are NOT bringing it up. All the advice here is great, but let me add one thing, if it is SWA, consider calling the PD and telling them your situation: i.e. "I want to be truthful, but this probaly isn't the situation you are asking about. I know you want me to put "everyting" but am I hurting myself here by reporting something you're not really interested in? What advise can you give me?" They're gonna tell you what you've heard here, but it might make you feel better to here it from them. This skeleton is NOT going to stay in the closet, better you bring it up then them.

Please don't sweat this, meet it head on and make sure the interviewers get to know you (your best you, but the genuine you). Best of luk you are on the right track.

Yes, tell all! Besides, since you said they apologized, and that you did nothing wrong, why would you want to skim over it in the first place? But regardless of that, tell it all....

Get the professional consulting advice. Cheryl Cage would be GREAT here. You might want to type up a one page letter, explaining the details, to be added to your application. Also, get a few people from that company that will verify the story and vouch for you. Have their names, numbers, and addresses on the same paper.

Don't gloss over a thing, or blame others, and hone up to anything you did. The important thing is what you LEARNED from it. (Even if it wasn't your fault as you state, there are still things to be learned here, small mistakes you may have made in the process, etc.)

If this is for a FedEx interview, they will probably figure it out anyway, and not hire you if you don't tell all. And, if they DO hire you, and figure it out YEARS later, they will FIRE you. ALPA won't be able to save you. You sign a paper at the interview that is very clear about this. (It isn't so much the incident, it would be the deception that would hurt you.)

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I will do exactly that. KC-10 Driver said it best, I would end up fired later down the road. Even though it doesn't exist on paper, there are plently of people in the know, and word of mouth may bring it up at some point. As for the company apologizing - YEAH RIGHT! No, it was the new CP who apologized for the old CP actions, who was fired himself. I wanted a written apology from the company, but got a "sorry we did this to you", come back if you like. Anyway, the day I get with a major and out of the regional airline treatment will be a GREAT day for celebration. Thanks to all!
B

Latest resources

Back