Looking for advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bandit317

I need advice regarding an upcoming interview at a major. I already have secured an interview, however still need to fill out their application. The application asks if I have ever been terminated, or received a letter of investigation or warning from the FAA. Here's my situation:

I received a warning letter a while back for something another crewmember did. Being the PIC, I got a warning letter from the FAA, and terminated from my company. I was hired back by my company after the investigation, and was expunged from any wrong-doings. My personnel file shows the gap in my employment as a voluntary furlough, no mention of the termination, and the FAA has expunged my letter. I paid a company to do a background check on me, and none of what happened shows up. What should I say on the application? Don't want to lie, but on the other hand, nothing shows up on my background check.
Thanks to all.

Be straightforward, don't omit it and chances are, it will come up as one of the first things as they go through your app and ask you questions about it. Tell them the truth, take responsibility for anything that you could have possibly done differently to avoid the outcome of the situation, state what you learned from the situation and give an example of how this has made you a better pilot now.
You've hit a home run and you are only 3 minutes into the interview.

The chance of a lifetime . . . . .

. . . . where it is important that you follow the directions on the app, because an employment application is another form of written exam. The important thing is you were exonerated and, even better, rehired. Read the question carefully and answer only what is asked while not volunteering information. Bring any supporting documentation to your interview.

Good luck with your interview.

bobbysamd said:
Read the question carefully and answer only what is asked while not volunteering information.
Any ommission of information will be regarded as an attempt at deception and will result in non-hire. Bandits' first paragraph clearly shows the question asks about this situation. Don't give them half the info. Turn this into a positive by being honest, not by being a sky-lawyer.

Thanks for everyone's reply. Still nervous about disclosing it, since the situation only exists if I bring it up.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Any ommission of information will be regarded as an attempt at deception and will result in non-hire. Bandits' first paragraph clearly shows the question asks about this situation. Don't give them half the info. Turn this into a positive by being honest, not by being a sky-lawyer.
Who said anything about omitting information?

He has to answer "yes" to being terminated and receiving a letter of warning. He needs to explain the situation, which turned out positive for him. He has nothing to hide, or omit. He needs to explain it fully - but not volunteer extraneous information. Without fail, he has to follow the directions on the app.

bandit317 said:
Thanks for everyone's reply. Still nervous about disclosing it, since the situation only exists if I bring it up.
Interviewer: Bandit, tell us about this voluntary furlough back in 19xx.
Bandit: (Scared deer in headlights look) "uh..."

If the "voluntary" furlough shows up in the PRIA check, you may just have to explain it. Now, since you've not answered all questions honestly, you are doomed. Also, you don't know that those who did your investigating used the same method as your prospective employer.

As long as what your saying is true, the way I see it is that you were wrongfully terminated and after an investigation you were hired back. Should be no problem, if this is the case maybe have your CP or DO write a letter to back it up and have that at the interview.

Were you hired back with seniority and backpay?

Latest resources

Back