Longevity

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sam Fisher said:
Remember, longevity is a reward for service accrued. When you are on furlough, you aren't providing a service to the corporation.

Sam

Continental is giving longevity to pilots on COLA (Company Leave of Absence) but not to those who are currently producing revenue for CAL by flying at ExpressJet or those that were furloughed directly to the street without an option.

Trans States (yes, not a major) gave pay longevity for the furloughs right after 9/11, but only because they furloughed out of seniority order and that was about the biggest slap on the wrist they got for that. I believe all the furloughs were recalled within 16 months, so it only cost them a few dollars per hour all those who returned.

CAL gave everyone an option to be either furloughed or take a COLA (company offered leave of absence), Right? It is my understanding that you gave up your right to longevity if you did not take the COLA and chose to be furloughed (I realize nobody choose to be furlouged, but you get my drift). The people on the COLA do get longevity and the furloughees do not.

At the time the benefit of taking a furlough over a COLA was the ability to be called back whenever they needed you and the COLA folks could not come back until after the leave was up.

It seemed like a gamble either way, but sounds like the COLA folks will return with a much better pay check.

This is how I remember a friend explaining it to me. (He is a CAL COLA guy). It may not be acurate though, it has been a long time since he told me about it and I may not remember it all correctly.

I thought at CAL if you chose to take the COLA, you got it, but if your number for furlough came up, you were taken off of COLA status and were placed on furlough status.

Or as OakrBust put it, you were f'd.

Wrong!

roughneck said:
CAL gave everyone an option to be either furloughed or take a COLA (company offered leave of absence), Right?

Wrong...

Only those that could hold a position at ExpressJet were offered COLA. Myself and about 90 other pilots were too junior to hold on to ExpressJet so we were furloughed to the street without any options (furloughed from CAL and furloughed from Express on paper).

We were all recently offered positions at ExpressJet with their recall. Only a hand full of CAL pilots were in a position to accept the Express offer.

Last edited:
RichardFitzwell said:
Does any airline give their furloughees pay longevity while on furlough? What benefits have been given to the furloughees of other airlines?
A furloughed FedEx pilot would continue to accrue LONGEVITY for 2 years, and SENIORITY for 7 years. Depending on years of service, he would receive up to 4 "months" (bid periods) of furlough pay, and retain Company jumpseat and reduced rate shipping privileges while collecting furlough pay.

Latest resources

Back