Longevity

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RichardFitzwell

Does any airline give their furloughees pay longevity while on furlough? What benefits have been given to the furloughees of other airlines?

Continental does not give longevity for pay or travel, only seniority. CAL pilots voted to donate money to provide medical benefits to those who needed it while Continental management offered a swift kick in the ass and refuses to discuss any pay longevity. So, after being laid off for years, I will return (if I return) on first year pay.

I'm looking for fuel to press ALPA on this subject. Thanks.

(I first put this in the furloughed section but there's more action over here.)

The UAL contract is pretty clear on the subject; no longevity while on furlough.

The only way to gain longevity is while you're on mil leave ie. recalled from furlough in Jan 2005, mil leave until Jan 2008, come back at year 4 pay even if you left as a probationary pilot. You still have to finish your probationary year, you'll just do it at better pay.

I think thats a pretty fair and equitable solution. Do you really think the company would want to give you longevity while you worked as a drive through cashier at BK waiting for a recall?

Delta does, I believe. Their furlough rights extend ten years I have been told. Makes for very expensive recalls, pay cuts notwithstanding.

250scp said:
Do you really think the company would want to give you longevity while you worked as a drive through cashier at BK waiting for a recall?

Its clear they don't want to do anything to help those of us on furlough.

Interesting question. This was a big issue for the USAirways furloughees who returned in 1998 after up to 8 years on furlough. It really became a big issue when there was a possibility of a merger with United. Those of us who were furloughed for that period wanted something near the average of what other carriers at the time were giving their returning furloughees. I used to know what that was but have forgotten. Possibly some on here know but it was something like: Delta (100 % credit ), American's 93 to 96 furloughees received some credit, United's furloughess from 1979 to 198? received credit, America West furlughees received some credit.

In the end USAirways pilots received no credit for pay and vacation but did receive longevity credit towards retirement under the old contract. The new contract doesn't give credit towards retirement.

Typhoonpilot

(Current contract) Delta furloughs get credit for pay and longevity, union pays for COBRA for those who need it, get non-rev flight priveleges but at a reduced status for the furloughed pilot only...family has to pay 10% for non-rev.

Assuming the credit for pay is not negotiated away, some furloughed pilots will return at 5+ year pay...assuming there is something to return to. Furloughed pilots who left on probation must finish probation requirements...one year or 400 hours.

OBTW...Delta also allows jumpseat for furloughes...HOWEVER, COMMA...FAA trumped this after 9-11 and does not allow furloughed pilots on any jumpseat.

UAL does not get credit. AA...unknown.

I am pretty sure that NWA gives 1 year longevity so if you left on 2nd year pay and were f'ed for 3 years youd come back with 3rd year pay and 3 years towards retirement.

Better than nothing I suppose.

Delta is the only airline that gives its furloughees full longevity. NWA gives its furloughees 1 year of longevity max, BUT...you have to have been on property for at least a year prior to going on furlough to receive that benefit. So in reality, Delta is the only airline that does this for its pilots. Remember, longevity is a reward for service accrued. When you are on furlough, you aren't providing a service to the corporation.

Sam

Latest resources

Back