Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

surefly

Not just a fly on a wall
okay so i have a 3-part question regarding any of you that are working commercial/regionals/atp:

in your FOM, is it encouraged to wear the company jacket year-round? or do they make short sleeves mandatory in the summer? also, do they permit long sleeves with the jacket?

thx :)

We wear spandex jumpsuits similar to, but not quite as tacky, as the ones on Star Trek TNG. Since not many chicks can fly single pilot 135 without a waiver, the issue of camel toe hasn't come up yet...but I'm sure it will sooner or later.

surefly said:
god dangit... any serious reply's? =P
I'm thinking you're not gonna get any replys. Don't take it personal, but uniform and ID theft is a big security issue. Not that anyone is accusing you of anything.

FN FAL said:
I'm thinking you're not gonna get any replys. Don't take it personal, but uniform and ID theft is a big security issue. Not that anyone is accusing you of anything.

hmm, okay. how bout this then:
do you think a successful aviation career can be pursued by a pilot that has arm tattoos? aka nothing visible without a long sleeve/jacket.
and do you think this pilot would have a difficult time finding a commercial/regional job where long sleeve shirts/jacket year-round are permitted?
thx

Do you plan on interviewing in short sleeves? If not, it won't be a problem. The catch: at random networking opens many doors in this industry. If you turn somebody off based on physical appearance, it's a roadblock. Example, I had a revenue passenger ride in the back of my airplane, and at the end of the flight, he came up to me and spontaneously offered to walk in my resume to one of my dream carriers. This individual travels commercialy on at least 4 legs every month, so I can't explain why he felt moved to do this for me, after our flight. If I visibly bucked the social norms of aviation, who knows what would've been the result.

But I'm thinking that since you're asking this on flightinfo it's not a case of deciding whether you're going to get drunk tonight and get a tattoo on your arm, because it's already there. In that case, get a dark tan, and give it your best shot.

After seeing some of the "airline" pilots in the terminals, I don't tatoos on your arms will upset the "uniformity" of the modern day professonal.

I've seen pilots with wrist tatoos. However, they were female and are allowed to do whatever they please.

Cardinal said:
Do you plan on interviewing in short sleeves? If not, it won't be a problem.

not at all. i'd go in with a full on suit to an interview, and no one would know i have tattoos. my main concern would be the company's uniform; i'm hearing it varies from company to company on FOM policy.

Latest resources

Back