• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Long Haul Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
skype.com works great to call home and free computer to computer (we have Co paid internet- it can be 30 bucks a day intl).
ipod
book
computer with some dvds (ethernet cable to reach the bed 15')
treo650 or other gsm phone (unlocked,cingular)-has good alarm and multiple time zone clock-only used as phone for emerg in most countries-digi camera
credit cards (change money in atms)
bottled water
clothes for hot and cold
xtra large crew bag on wheels (to fit all this stuff into)
computer bag on wheels (because it gets heavy too)
don't scrimp on the creature comforts
:)

Last edited:
Good list of stuff.

The alarm clock needs to be a wind-up. Where are you going to find a battery for it in Outer Slobovia...and do you really want to have to do that ? Never trust the hotel to make good on a wake-up call...never.

Get Vonage. Works great with any high speed connection I've found. You can carry your Vonage unit with you on the road, or for another $10 a month get a "Softphone" unit(that attaches to your laptop and you can make calls on whenever you have a high speed connection) that they sell and have your own number for it. Calls are treated as if you made them from your home, since your number would be a XXX area code(wherever you want).

I guess we are talking about flying anywhere else than Europe!

If you fly to Europe, no worries there. Most of the European countries are more developed than US, so no worries there!

If you fly out to Asia or South-America I don't think you can ever be prepared enough. I would think your aircraft has somekind of emergency kit with medicines etc. for flight part and also your company should be able to tell you what shots you need. IF you go to Southern African countries like Gongo etc... be prepared for anything! WHO has website and also FBI website is good to study about countries you go.

Good luck and watch out missiles!

If you don't already have a laptop, you'll want one soon. When you wake up at 2200 local on your "day" off and are wide awake until sunrise, you can pass the time watching dvds, playing games, writing email, listening to mp3s, surfing the net (if you have access),etc. Books are great too, but personally I can't read for 10 straight hours.

I fully agree with the "food in a backpack" for the same reasons.

I bring clothes for all types of wx. Shorts and t-shirts to polar fleece and jacket. Many times, I'll wear both in the same day. Not too much of a concern this time of year though.

Have fun...

Might as well upgrade your cell to triband. Internet phone etc is good for when your are back at the hotel, but its nice to have something that will work in the event of an emergency. Make sure you store the numbers with a "+1" in front of the area code. That way any network the phone happens to be on will automatically figure out how to connect back to the states (or + country code, then number for else where).

Good luck!

Last edited:
VVJM265 said:
Might as well upgrade your cell to triband.

Terryhfly,

Consider where you'll be spending your time if you are going to switch phones. Some countries, like Japan and South Korea, use a different system and even a tri-band phone isn't going to work there. Also, there are some countries where American cell phone companies do not have agreements with local carriers to provide coverage... not that you want to go that way. Using an American provider overseas can be very expensive, depending on location. The best way around that is to get pre-paid SIM cards from a local cell phone provider. Downside is your phone has to be unlocked, which you may have to do yourself because some companies won't unlock them, and the fact that you'll have a different phone number with each SIM card... so your phone number in Frankfurt won't be the same as the one in Kuala Lumpur... not a big deal if you leave an itinerary/number list with people (or use something like this). FWIW, I have a tri-band phone and I can count on one hand the times I've used it overseas. Once you get online, you'll get plenty of good gouge from your fellow crewmembers and soon find what works for you and what doesn't. Have fun!

cc

Last edited:
I once needed some dental floss. I couldn't find any anywhere. It sucked to have something bothering me with no way of getting it out.... I finally went into
Macgivor mode and took a thread from a sock... Worked like a charm...

Latest resources

Back