Long Haul Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Clutch_Cargo said:
Some countries, like Japan and South Korea, use a different system and even a tri-band phone isn't going to work there.
cc
Interesting. I didn't realize that about Japan & SK. I had a triband in Italy, of course the carrier was European, Ominitel if I remember. I used it all the time, all over the place: Moscow, Sempherpol, back here in the states, etc. Learn something new every day....

They actually have quad band phones out now that will work on the network in Japan. The SIM card thing is Gouge and many countries have good pre-paid, non expeiry deals for calling back to the states. They even have little SIM card carriers now.

Sweedish made p~~~s enlarger pump

A Leatherman in the checked baggage is always nice to have. Of course, if you don't check your suitcase that would make it difficult getting past the TSA.

TP

dash8driver said:
And don't forget your vitamin V.

Who cares whether you have the $hits, good food, whatever, but sheeesh, ya gotta remember the fooking equipment before anything!

unless there are some other phones out that are very new. the quad band phones are to cover the 2 US freqs (800/1900. the US added one making companys move from tribands to quad), and the 2 "euro/asian" frequencies (900/1800).

i dont know about korea. but in japan they use UMTS which uses wCDMA, which is a completely different protocol than the quad band phones (GSM).

if you're going to get a quad band phone to use overseas. get it unlocked so you can use local sim cards. they are way, way cheaper than trying to pay int'l roaming.

dash8driver said:
if you're going to get a quad band phone to use overseas. get it unlocked so you can use local sim cards. they are way, way cheaper than trying to pay int'l roaming.
And don't think you will buy a quad-band in Asia cheaper. I just priced some in Bangkok and they are farging-A expensive. However, T-mobile will GIVE you a quad for free just for signing up for a year of one of their regular US plans. Getting them unlocked abroad is cheaper, I hear. I priced that recently in Asia at about 7 bucks to get it done. I think you'll pay plenty more in the US. Them little girlies just love to send you text messages...get the quad, baby. (and don't forget your Jimmy-hat).

Hugh Jorgan said:
And don't think you will buy a quad-band in Asia cheaper. I just priced some in Bangkok and they are farging-A expensive. However, T-mobile will GIVE you a quad for free just for signing up for a year of one of their regular US plans. Getting them unlocked abroad is cheaper, I hear. I priced that recently in Asia at about 7 bucks to get it done. I think you'll pay plenty more in the US. Them little girlies just love to send you text messages...get the quad, baby. (and don't forget your Jimmy-hat).

yea.. they dont have these sign a contract and get a phone for 50 bux deal. you are buying the phone for pretty much full retail. there are online websites out there that you can unlock your phone with, prices vary depending on the model. if you wait and take it overseas, you may be able to find a shop that will do it for you for cheaper.

hugh, if you're phone is still locked. the next time you're in bkk, go to MBK. there are a zillion cell shops in there. i forgot the name of one of the ones that does unlocking. they were called "phone buddy" or something like that, they were in a regular shop stalls on the inside perimeter of the building, not one of the many in the middle. just a couple doors down from well stocked camera shop.

a provider (like cingular) who purchases a bunch of phones to sell to you at a cheap rate with a contract. they are able to lock the phones so that you can only use sim cards from that company and not from another company. they feel this is the way they can keep more customers.

so if you have a cingular phone, you can use your sim card in it, any of your friends with a cingular sim card can put their sim card in and use it as if it were their phone. if your t-mobile friend tries to put his sim card in your phone, the phone will not operate. once you unlock your phone, any sim card, from any provider will work.

i unlock my phones so when i travel i can buy a local pay as you go sim card and use it in my phone.

Latest resources

Back