Long Haul Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

terryhfly

I start at World Airways next week and had a few questions for those who fly long haul flights. I have never flown these type of trips (14 days or more) so I don't really know what to take with me.

What do you usually take with you besides the usual stuff (clothes, ext)?
What type of calling card is the best?
Is there usually Internet access at the hotels overseas?
Any useful gadget or item that you have found that makes sense to have on your trips.

Thanks

Bring half the clothes and twice the money! Best calling card... a local (to wherever you are at the moment) pre-paid card. Yes, there is often internet access but you'll often have to pay for it... depends on the deal World has worked for you at that particular hotel... I don't know if they even do that kind of thing at World. Useful gadget... well, only thing that comes to mind is adapters... for the different outlets you'll run across. Converter too if you plan on using anything that isn't dual voltage.

cc

Clutch_Cargo said:
Bring half the clothes and twice the money! Best calling card... a local (to wherever you are at the moment) pre-paid card. Yes, there is often internet access but you'll often have to pay for it... depends on the deal World has worked for you at that particular hotel... I don't know if they even do that kind of thing at World. Useful gadget... well, only thing that comes to mind is adapters... for the different outlets you'll run across. Converter too if you plan on using anything that isn't dual voltage.
I always carry a small travel iron and the usual assortment of adaptors. I also carry one of those dental kits that you can buy at almost any pharmacy - just in case you happen to blow a filling or a crown and don't relish the idea of visiting a local dentist. Finally, carry a color copy of the front page of your passport. It will help if you ever have to get a replacement on the road.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
I always carry a small travel iron and the usual assortment of adaptors. I also carry one of those dental kits that you can buy at almost any pharmacy - just in case you happen to blow a filling or a crown and don't relish the idea of visiting a local dentist. Finally, carry a color copy of the front page of your passport. It will help if you ever have to get a replacement on the road.

'Sled

Never thought about the dental kit but that's a good idea 'Sled... I don't even like to get my hair cut overseas much less have them grind on my teeth. I used to carry the travel iron but quit when mine broke... I just ask to borrow one at the hotel. Carrying copies of your "papers" is a must... can't believe I forgot to mention that! I carry a couple of copies and keep them in different places... just in case.

Clutch_Cargo said:
Never thought about the dental kit but that's a good idea 'Sled... I don't even like to get my hair cut overseas much less have them grind on my teeth. I used to carry the travel iron but quit when mine broke... I just ask to borrow one at the hotel. Carrying copies of your "papers" is a must... can't believe I forgot to mention that! I carry a couple of copies and keep them in different places... just in case.
And I can't believe that I forgot to mention the Immodium. Blessed be the man who invented that! While we're at it, here some more obvious stuff. Make sure you've got all of the recommended shots - especially the hepatitus series. Oh, and don't drink the water. ;)

'Sled

I recommend Skype messenging software, calls to US numbers are like 2 cents a minute, and most overseas hotels have internet in the rooms

Preparation H... You'll be a hemorrhoid farmer and you want to be able to "tend" your crop.

terryhfly said:
I start at World Airways next week and had a few questions for those who fly long haul flights. I have never flown these type of trips (14 days or more) so I don't really know what to take with me.

What do you usually take with you besides the usual stuff (clothes, ext)?
What type of calling card is the best?
Is there usually Internet access at the hotels overseas?
Any useful gadget or item that you have found that makes sense to have on your trips.

Thanks

Terryhfly,

First, congrats on your new job!!

O.K., I'll share with you what I pack and you can pick and choose from there. Hope this helps. I'll skip the clothes part.

FOOD:
I take a backpack with food and supplies in it. It is accessible to me in the flightdeck and if I have to commercial somewhere. Here is what I pack in it:

1 or 2 boxes of cereal.
Vacuum packed packets of tuna and/or salmon.
Meal-replacement mix (powder form) which I can make with bottled water.
Container for meal-replacement mix.
Plastic silverware (usually spoons and forks)
Granola bars and a small jar of peanut butter. (sometimes)

Sometimes you will wake up in the middle of the night overseas wide awake, hungry, and with nowhere open to eat for at least 4 or 5 more hours. Other times the onboard catering may be less than delightful or downright fattening and carb-laden. Either way, you have some other choices and it will hold you over until you find a decent place to eat.

MEDICINE CABINET
Basic first aid stuff and medicine:

Bandages
Tylenol and/or asprin
Immodium and/or Pepto
Neosporin
First aid ointment

This is also kept in my backpack, usually in one of the small pockets.

SHAVING KIT (carried in suitcase)
Just the basics:
Travel sizes of toothpaste, deodarant, shampoo, and shaving cream, etc. Not too much, just the basics to get me through a two-week trip.

MISCELLANEOUS STUFF:
Extra shoelaces: you will need them at one time or another. (I wear boots)

Alarm clock (battery powered): a travel alarm with a loud tone. Wake-up calls don't always come and a power outage in the middle of the night can mess up the hotel's clock.

Calling card.

Book and/or magazines

Small atlas that fits in your brainbag. (interesting to see what you are flying over sometimes)

Running shoes and workout clothes.

I hope this is insightful for you. Congrats again.

Latest resources

Back