• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Long Haul Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
as far as prepaid calling cards go which one is better att or mci.i am thinking of ditching the individual country cards and just going with one that can be recharged over the phone.any thoughts from those that have tried this?

semperfido,
how do you unlock those cingular phones? i and the vodafone guys tried, but couldn't get it done to put in prepaid sims cards!!!

I'm not semperfido (although I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night) but I'll have a go at your question. I think it depends more on your phone's manufacturer than the provider. Some can be unlocked by keying in a certain number sequence but others need to have their memory flashed. This usually requires a program you load on your computer and a cable to connect the computer and phone. Now obviously Cingular should be able to unlock the phone for you but, if they are one of those unwilling companies, using a third party maybe the only way to get it done. If you run a search on the 'net you can find a lot of people willing to sell you the info and/or equipment... you may even be able to find it for free. I can't vouch for anyone in particular; all I can do is wish you luck!

cc

Last edited:
cingular wont unlock phones, Tmobile will unlock 1 per year for you.

on ebay you can most unlocked for $10

angry tanker said:
semperfido,
how do you unlock those cingular phones? i and the vodafone guys tried, but couldn't get it done to put in prepaid sims cards!!!

AT,

i did a search on treocentral.com ( i know you probably don't have a treo , but the concept still applies). The search criteria I used was Cingular and Unlocking. There are many threads about this. Here is what one user said:

Called Cingular yesterday for unlock code on my 650,rep said it was not something they could give me. I insisted that their own Cingular forum showed that it could . After checking with her boss, she said to give her my IMEI# and today I got an email with the unlock code. Entered the code and unlocked the phone. I immediately tried a Tmobile sim that I had and it came up on the Tmo network Voila!. I now have an unlocked 650. Can I do the 1.30 upgrade Now????

angry tanker said:
semperfido,

check out unlockitnow.com they have been the cheapest i have found for the phones i have unlocked. they will either be able to unlock it remotely, or sell you the cable and software to unlock it from your house.

there are also some cell shops in the US that you can take your phone to have unlocked. some people actually mail their phone to these shops to have unlocked.

if you're going to be out of the country soon, you might want to try to find a shop that will do it for you overseas. since having unlocked phones is no big deal in other countries, they usually are a bit cheaper to unlock there.

Latest resources

Back