• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging PIC for Complx/HP Endorsements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
so whats all the BS about having recieved flight and ground training to log pic all about??????????????????????????

the way i see it it's just like a HP and an altitude endorsment. for pressurized a/c i cant pic unless i have the endorsment right??

Kream926 said:
so whats all the BS about having recieved flight and ground training to log pic all about??????????????????????????

Dude, the regs. say that in order to ACT AS PIC of a HP aircraft you need to receive and log ground and flight training from an instructor. It's part of the whole package. In order to be granted the ability to ACT AS PIC, you must have met these requirements. Short of this, you can STILL log PIC as sole manipulator.

I've posted a link to Doc's website. It links you to a very informative page with the regs. of logging time in different situations. It is also backed up by letters from the FAA.

http://www.propilot.com/doc/logging2.html

im starting to understand

thanks guys!

damn i got robbed outta 2 PIC hours........ o well

Kream926 said:
so whats all the BS about having received flight and ground training to log pic all about??????????????????????????
No one, other than the many, many pilots and instructors who don't really understand these rules that well make a connection with the training and =logging=.

But it's not BS. The receiving flight and ground training and an endorsement is in order for you to have the authority to assume the important position of being the pilot who is in command with ultimate responsibility for a flight in a complex airplane, perhaps alone but potentially with passengers.

That responsibility has nothing to do with what you write in a column of your logbook.

Kream926 said:
dang I got robbed outta 2 PIC hours........ o well
If it's that important, remember it's your logbook and you are free to correct incorrect entries. I did after my endorsement when I learned how the rule works. Made the correction, initialed it, revised the totals and wrote a short explanatory not on the page where the revised totals appeared.

midlifeflyer said:
If it's that important, remember it's your logbook and you are free to correct incorrect entries. I did after my endorsement when I learned how the rule works. Made the correction, initialed it, revised the totals and wrote a short explanatory not on the page where the revised totals appeared.

If there's some error from an entry a few pages back with the totals already added up in the column, I use the next available entry on the current log page and record the missing time, including the reason why, the date (so who ever is concerned, can go back to that date in my logboook), and fill in the appropriate column of time and include it at the end when the page is tabulated. You only need to fill-in the necessary coulmns, not TT if not necessary.

Here's what happened to me once.

Realized that I logged everything correctly, just didnt log the X-ctry time. Since it was not possible to go back to that entry, as the page had been totalled, I just made an entry to include the missing time on the next available line, leaving out the TT. PIC, etc.

Avoid using whiteout (or greenout) - its messy and appears as some form of concealment.

Kream, it's sort of like how instrument students can log actual instrument PIC time...even before they have instrument ratings.

The CFII is acting as PIC, it's his ticket on the line for the flight. But since the student is rated in the airplane (PP-ASEL) AND is the sole manipulator, it's logged as PIC.

There's a GREAT FAR pt 61 FAQ by one of pt61's authors, John Lynch.
http://www.johnpeace.org/pt61FAQ.zip
This document answers a LOT of questions about logging and other regs in pt61, definitely a must read.

Let em log it. Did you? I have never heard the FAA getting a hard on for someone logging a couple of hours when they don't have your name in a logbook.

PropsR4Boats said:
Let em log it. Did you? I have never heard the FAA getting a hard on for someone logging a couple of hours when they don't have your name in a logbook.

I did log the hours, but the examiner said I wasn't supposed to log PIC since I wasn't endorsed for flying complex airplanes; but that didn't make much sense to me. That's why I'm asking.

Latest resources

Back