Logging Level D sim time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
some_dude said:
Many of the insurance applications, and at least a few job applications I've seen refer to "Pilot Time" rather than "Flight Time." Per the regulations, wouldn't approved sim time count as "Pilot Time" even if it is not "Flight Time?"
Yes. FAR 61.1(b)(12):

==============================
Pilot time means that time in which a person -
(I) Serves as a required pilot flight crewmember;
(ii) Receives training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device; or
(iii) Gives training as an authorized instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device.
==============================

This is the source of all those "total time" arguments you see. Truth is "total time" doesn't really mean anything. You're either talking about total "pilot time" or total "flight time."

rod farva said:

Oh yes. That's a flight info classic.

Why would night not be night with NVGs on? Is night still night if you have a FLIR? How about during the periods that your required 2 D-cell flashlight is illuminated in the cockpit?

>>I think you guys make way to big of a deal about logging time. Remember the old saying "Fly what you can, log what you need.".<<

If you don't know, or maybe don't care, about this rule, what else don't you know or care about?

Just a question, designed to foster an insight.

You're right. My bad. I'm on my way to the FAA to turn in my tickets. Thanks on the beach, you REALLY fostered an insight. What an awesome place to ask questions. Lesson learned.

You're welcome, but of course you didn't really get the point, which is a shame, mostly for you.

If you really did "turn in your tickets," it might be a good thing. First and foremost for you; secondarily, for others.

The thing I love most about America is that, by and large, people can do as they please. On the other hand, our weakness is that when the consequences of one's actions occur, as they are bound to do, we are very reluctant to connect cause and effect.

When you have been a professional pilot for five years, you will be the kind of pilot you will be for the rest of your life. Habits and mindsets, once established, are difficult or impossible to change.

It is very easy to take a good man and make a good pilot. It is impossible to take a good pilot and make a good man.

I like to make this sort of post every now and again because it has the amazing effect of inducing repliers to reveal, in a few short sentences, all about themselves.

I never get any reward for my efforts, which is bad; on the other hand, I don't expect any, which is good; nor do they cost me anything, which is even better.

You may now have the last word, so by all means make it as vitriolic, asinine, and/or sarcastic as you are able.

61.159 differentiates between "flight time" and "total time", but there is no definition that I can find for "total time"

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section, a person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating must have at least 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least:
(1) 500 hours of cross-country flight time.

but based on this statement:

(5) Not more than 100 hours of the total aeronautical experience requirements of paragraph (a) of this section may be obtained in a flight simulator or flight training device that represents an airplane, provided the aeronautical experience was obtained in an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

I would guess that total aeronautical experience is what they are talking about when they say "total time"

so I guess that when a application asks for flight time, that would not include simulator time, but when it asks for total time, it would.

sb

scubabri said:
61.159 differentiates between "flight time" and "total time", but there is no definition that I can find for "total time"

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section, a person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating must have at least 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least:
I'll change the bolded portion just a bit:

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section, a person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating must have at least 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least

"Pilot time" =is= defined.

61.159 is diferentiating beween differentiates between "flight time" and total "pilot time", not between flight time and some nebulous undefined concept called "total time"

Latest resources

Back