• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging Level D sim time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
61.51(h) allows you to log "training time" in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device. Furthermore, for meeting the requirements of the ATP, you can use up to 100 hours of simulator time (61.159(a)(5)) towards the 1,500 hour total time requirement.

So, why not log it? Clearly, you can log up to 100 hours of it as total time if you don't have an ATP. If you do, who cares anyway?

some_dude said:
61.51(h) allows you to log "training time" in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device. Furthermore, for meeting the requirements of the ATP, you can use up to 100 hours of simulator time (61.159(a)(5)) towards the 1,500 hour total time requirement.

So, why not log it? Clearly, you can log up to 100 hours of it as total time if you don't have an ATP. If you do, who cares anyway?
I don't think anyone suggested not logging it; just a discussion about where.

Clearly, sim time is "training time." But a lot of pilots reserve the training column in their logbook for training in an aircraft for convenience - they don't have to subtract all their sim entries when running an 8710 total.

Also, sim time is total "pilot" time, but =not= total "flight" time. Many logbooks call their "totals" column "total duration of 'flight'" and I think most pilots likewise reserve the column for "flight" time.

Want to do it different? No problem. Just makes sure your logbook is clear about what you are doing and do the proper math when 8710 time rolls around.

midlifeflyer said:
Want to do it different? No problem. Just makes sure your logbook is clear about what you are doing and do the proper math when 8710 time rolls around.

And equally important, when interview time rolls around.

I have around 50 hours of sim time in my total time. About 20 was using a PCAT to get my instrument rating and about 30 was level d going thru part 121 training. I have been to 4 different 121 interviews and was offered a job at 3 of them and no one has ever questioned anything about logging sim time. As a matter of fact no one has ever asked any question about logging ANY time.

I think you guys make way to big of a deal about logging time. Remember the old saying "Fly what you can, log what you need.".

I agree with B-J-J Fighter. People make a way bigger deal out of how thay log time. As long as you are not pencil whipping entries and have somewhat of a reason you will be fine. All of the interviews I have had amounted to a glance at the last two pages of my logbook, nothing more.

I think you guys are wrong on this. Where is avbug? Level D full motion sim I thought was considered an airplane. I had a FAA guy tell me this, but I never trust an FAA guy completely.

For everything you've always wanted to know about Flight Training Devices, Levels 1 through 7, see AC 120-45A, about 60 pages. For sims, Levels A through D, see AC 120-40B, and appendices thereto, in particular Appendix 1.
All are available at the FAA website by clicking the appropriate menu selections. As for logging, some of the sim training organizations state on their respective websites what is at least their understanding, and I think what I read on those sites was that the time is logged as sim time, but not as total time and not as airplane time. Hope the AC references are of some use. The AC info was my main reason for posting.

pilotviolin said:
I think you guys are wrong on this. Where is avbug? Level D full motion sim I thought was considered an airplane.
FAR 1.1

"Aircraft means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air."

Do yourself a favor and log it as sim only. Eventually all airline apps will be electronic. Fedex, southwest, and several different airlines use airlineapps.com. These apps have you break out every freaking airplane type and at the end of the app your times are added up. If you included sim time your total time on the electronic app will not match your logbook.

Latest resources

Back