Logging IMC time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr. Pinkerton

Interesting comments. I find instructing an instrument student through an approach to be much harder than flying the approach myself. I have to be the 5 steps ahead of the airplane and 10 ahead of the student. Is the student flying a perfect centered-needle approach, or has the instrument failed?

Since I've started with the flight school, we've replaced a total of 6 flight instruments in 3 airplanes. It took a second (third, and fourth) opinion to say the instruments are bad, not the pilot technique.

Then there is the old standard. What airplane starts behaving itself or weather condition goes away when you show them your logbook or pilot certificates?

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Apples and oranges, entirely.

Military logs are kept according to military regulations, which vary by the branch. Military currency requirments differ, pilot requirments and qualifications differ, logging of time differs, etc.

Flight time logged in accordance with 14 CFR 61.51 must meet the requirements of that part. Likewise for logging time to meet recency of flight experience requirements for currency, and time to meet the requirements of any certificate or rating.

If you fly the approach, log it. If the student flies the approach, the student may log it. Don't attempt to transfer what the military allows you to do, over to your civillian flying. The military issues a sidearm to go fly a sortie. Try getting out of your airplane on the ramp at any international airport sporting your M9. People will get upset. Don't carry over military do's and don'ts to the civillian side; the two are apples and oranges. Different methods and requirments, regulations, etc. No comparison.

Latest resources

Back