Logbook Lies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrickTop

How many airlines or employers for that matter actually validate logbook entries? I just reviewed my logbook and realized how many errors are inside. We are all guilty of adding the .5 to actual or total time. It just made me think how easy it would be to cook the book, or for that matter just burn a hole in it. In all How many of us are living under a sheet of BS logbook entries, issued an ATP and slipped right through are fellow FAA paperwork pushers. After all the red tape the FAA has put in place they still take flight log entries as the pilots honesty.

All I can say is that at my UPS interview, the chief pilot interviewing me looked pretty hard at my logbooks. He even had a few minor questions about flight time. I doubt that anyone has a perfect logbook, but you never know who might get a hold of them someday. As far as validate, probably not. Even though your past 121 carrier keeps track of flight time.

Just thinking primarily of how many CFI's have cooked books. Even a fellow G/A weekend bandit could pencil his way to an ATP certificate.

It's the obvious lies that get me...

Like the fella who told me with a straight face, "I only have 1000 total, but I have 700 hours actual instrument!"

I laughed so hard I spit up my coffee!

"And 400 hours simulated"

I remember an inspector at RAL FSDO tell a class of CFI's about an ATP applicant that shows up with nearly 500 hrs of Seneca time.
Inspector knew this Seneca was a mud queen at Corona Airport, and knew it rarely flew.
He called the owner and asked how many hrs it had on it and then called in the pilot.
FAA revoked his certificates.
This can and does happen.

I suppose theres always one to make an example of but im saying fudging a hundred hours by adding 1.0 to every 2hr block could be difficult to track.

BrickTop said:
I suppose theres always one to make an example of but im saying fudging a hundred hours by adding 1.0 to every 2hr block could be difficult to track.

But not impossible to track. And besides, to get your ATP, you need to have good moral character, according to the regs. In the long run, I would rather have a clean reputation and know that I have flown every hour in my logbook, than to know that I lied and cheated to get ahead in my career.

You fudge enough, it can show up in the skills.

Mine looks particularly bad... About 3000 TT with 2500 multi and 1800 turbine. Didn't fudge a bit of it, just flew nothing but twins. I've taken my training records to every interview I've been to in case someone called BS.

At CHQ they just looked at the last page of my logbook and wrote down the times.
At Corporate Airlines, they did look through it and ask about me flying the BE58. Just a few simple questions and that was it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back