• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Living in White Plains @ 75K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I pay more than that outside of Ft. Worth on a $175K home!

ditto in po-dunk MD (2 miles from the SWL VOR) ... that's just the city ... still have the county and the state to pay the privledge to.

HPN ain't cheap ... do your homework. Once you get north of ORF, all bets are off concerning realestate.

You cant make it with a family on 75K in the HPN area. Not even close.

You might be able to rent something within an hour. You cant buy.

150K is where you need to be...and Id like to see you pull that off with a family. hard.

Housing costs are the problem. I live in the area and for a place you actually want to live in you are looking at 500K+ - and Im talking 1hr from HPN and 30yr old house. You need to be looking up near KPOU or in middle CT. Housing prices are higher in CT but taxes are higher in NY (on average) Im my area you will pay 4K in taxes on a 500K house..ballpark.

Pilot pay just cant keep up around here. Those that are doing OK bought years ago when things were somewhat affordable.

I like the area, there is always work and you can find some good salary numbers --- but 75K is not one of those.

good luck.

Yeah Downwind - $4000 isn't bad, but move over a couple towns to Port Chester and watch that tax number swell to 11K, and then you're looking at the norm for the area for a small house. $75K for this area with a family will be tight.

Thanks alot guys for the input.

was offered a 200k job there once. passed on it. could make more here. qol. although not in he same industry. I say take a pass

Lived there a for a long time. The $150K minimum someone posted really is a minimum if you have a family. You won't find anything affordable in CT until you get out east past Orange and north of New Fairfield. Anything you find for less you wouldn't want to own, and anywhere you found it you wouldn't want to live. It depends on the equipment, of course, but an employer in that area knows that, and a $75K offer tells you a bit about the employer, doesn't it?

Hope your wife works too. Absurd real estate and rental market along with the highest tax burden in the country (CT, NY, NJ) CT Traffic is a nightmare at rush hour 6-10am southbound and 1530-1900 Northbound. Double or triple your driving times. My brother lives up in CT and commutes to the HPN area every day and hates the drive. He leaves before six to avoid the sit in traffic and comes home late. NY property taxes much higher than CT, not sure about NJ.

Good Luck

You cant make it with a family on 75K in the HPN area. Not even close.

You might be able to rent something within an hour. You cant buy.

150K is where you need to be...and Id like to see you pull that off with a family. hard.

Housing costs are the problem. I live in the area and for a place you actually want to live in you are looking at 500K+ - and Im talking 1hr from HPN and 30yr old house. You need to be looking up near KPOU or in middle CT. Housing prices are higher in CT but taxes are higher in NY (on average) Im my area you will pay 4K in taxes on a 500K house..ballpark.

Pilot pay just cant keep up around here. Those that are doing OK bought years ago when things were somewhat affordable.

I like the area, there is always work and you can find some good salary numbers --- but 75K is not one of those.

good luck.

Hi Gulfstream 200 & others,

Question - because of HPN and the numerous corporate flight departments, would it be easy to transition to another flying job, were I to lay down roots and move there.

I'm just trying to do some longer term career projections, and contemplating work in the area.

Thanks for any perspectives,

FCN

Next time you are in HPN ask the hotel workers or the restaurant employees where they live and what the cost of rent is..
I am not trying to be a jerk. They probably know of some of the inexpensive places in the area where your co workers at the airport might not be aware of.

Latest resources

Back