little venting........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unlikely.

No one ever made fun of the major airline pilots or major players for the charter or corporate gigs on the field.

Ever.

Stuff like that comes back around and bites you in the butt when you're finally looking to move up and on.

Sounds like you've forgotten how the game works.

Major players....are you being serious?

I keep in contact w/ the school/FBO that i instructed at. I'm current in all the a/c i'm rated in, but if i walked in the door right now they'd make me take a checkout ride. I dont see your problem with this. It is an insurance requirement. If they didnt do it and i went out and bent an airframe the insurance would be asking a lot of questions.

Also, my post was in response to Caveman...not the treatment major/corporate pilots got when they came in to rent. Yes, everyone fell all over themselves to talk to them. They all took a checkout by the way.

Last edited:
I doubt it, most CFI's know how to advance in this industry. Any time that I had a major, regional, corporate airline pilot come in to the flight school I was working at, I would do as much talking to, and helping them out as possible. I would tell them what I wanted to do in the industry, give them a resume, and in turn they would usually give me their business card, and tell me to call if there was ever anything they could do for me.
If you want to make fun of this guy then fine. But I gaurntee you the rest of the guys in the school were not laughing.

So you'd send them out in a 172 w/o a checkout?

I think you're missing my point, though. I was responding to Caveman's assertion that the money he spent made him deserving of not taking a checkout. We made fun of ALL of the old guys who came back(to there face i might add), NOT the ones we didnt know. You're right, the ability of a CFI to move on is somewhat dependant of timing and who he/she networked.

But when the guy who left comes back wearing his uniform, "because he just wanted to stop by after work" got roasted. Everyone took it in good fun, but i'd never walk back into the school and say, "i spent 30k here and brought in untold thousands via students, i'm not taking a checkout." That my friend is retarded.

Major players....are you being serious?
Yes, but you misunderstood in what context.

I said they wouldn't laugh and make fun of the guy behind his back. One of them would eventually say something and it would get back to the guy who rented.

The Charter / Corporate world is VERY small. One thing like that can ruin a guy's prospects on a field. Saw it more than once in Nashville, guys had to move away somewhere or pay the $15k or more to become a Jetstream F/O at a regional.

Slow down and read before you post.

I keep in contact w/ the school/FBO that i instructed at. I'm current in all the a/c i'm rated in, but if i walked in the door right now they'd make me take a checkout ride. I dont see your problem with this. It is an insurance requirement. If they didnt do it and i went out and bent an airframe the insurance would be asking a lot of questions.
Guess the flight school I rent from doesn't have the problem with it you do.

Again, I'm not going to go up and do 1.7 with some 300 hour wunderkid in an airplane I just flew 6 months ago.

They can keep the fracking thing and I'll find somewhere else to rent.

I don't see your problem with this; it's common sense.

And that is their option. Once again, i was responding to Caveman's post. BTW, if you need a 1.7 checkout to get current :eek::)
Again, you're not reading before you post.

I already SAID I didn't mind if an instructor wanted to go up with me for 30 minutes while I do my 3 and 3, but got pissed off when some guy wanted to go do a full checkride type of thing.

You know, slow preflight, slow taxi, fly clear of the Class C, stalls, steep turns, short field landings, soft field landings, slow-flight,,,

That's the 1.7 "checkout" I was talking about and had already mentioned earlier.

Guess it depends on your version of a "checkout".

Again, you're not reading before you post.

I already SAID I didn't mind if an instructor wanted to go up with me for 30 minutes while I do my 3 and 3, but got pissed off when some guy wanted to go do a full checkride type of thing.

You know, slow preflight, slow taxi, fly clear of the Class C, stalls, steep turns, short field landings, soft field landings, slow-flight,,,

That's the 1.7 "checkout" I was talking about and had already mentioned earlier.

Guess it depends on your version of a "checkout".

Actually I am, you're getting all up in arms about this. ONCE AGAIN, my original post was in response to Caveman saying just b/c he spent the money he shouldn't have a check out.

I agree if they tried to get me to do a 2 hour checkride, instead of just a few bounces, yeah, i'd say something to the owner.

Dont be so sensitive. You need to read and SEE my post (i.e. note the "eek" and "smiley" faces)

Latest resources

Back