little venting........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

today I went to rent the same c-152 that I've rented since 1990. I've maybe flown 200 hours in that plane over the years, I was also a line guy and instructed at this FBO over the years.

It was the usual flight around the hometown and a few landings. 0.6 on the hobbs. Land, pay the bill (debit card) then BS with the fellow bums for awhile then it was home to watch the games. A few minutes ago I look at my bill to put the balance in my checkbook and see I was charged 0.15 for a "reservation min fee". I've never seen this before. I've done plenty of 0.5 (or less) flights in college when i could only scrape 25-30 bucks together for some flight time. No notification of any changed policy either.

Guess 16 plus years of bussiness doesn't make someone a valued customer anymore.

today I went to rent the same c-152 that I've rented since 1990. I've maybe flown 200 hours in that plane over the years, I was also a line guy and instructed at this FBO over the years.

It was the usual flight around the hometown and a few landings. 0.6 on the hobbs. Land, pay the bill (debit card) then BS with the fellow bums for awhile then it was home to watch the games. A few minutes ago I look at my bill to put the balance in my checkbook and see I was charged 0.15 for a "reservation min fee". I've never seen this before. I've done plenty of 0.5 (or less) flights in college when i could only scrape 25-30 bucks together for some flight time. No notification of any changed policy either.

Guess 16 plus years of bussiness doesn't make someone a valued customer anymore.

Don't you have a wife you can vent to or a significant other?

Dont know why, but this made me laugh.
Don't laugh, I can't talk anything aviation with my wife either.

She doesn't get it, doesn't want to, and that's just life.

She also doesn't complain that I'm gone 12-15 days a month either, so I kind of figure I can't get too mad she doesn't "get" my career. I'm just happy to have someone who doesn't freak when I'm gone and takes good care of the kids and house. :)

p.s. A while back I went to the same flight school I had been CHIEF PILOT for back in '95; they wanted to give me a "check out" flight. Had to call the owner at home to get them to p*ss off.

Anything for that extra .5 for the instructor I guess. Some people. :rolleyes:

Unfortunatly,, the minimum rental fee is probably going to be a fixture in the future. I'm surprised it hasn't happened more.

I'm not saying it is right to do it, but it is basic business. It is hard to have a $20,000 or more investment that probably is costing you $300.00 a month just in insurance be tied up for what really is 1 1/2 hours and only generate .5 or .6 on the hobbs.

When I owned a FBO, we had a guy that would show up once every 90 days, tie up the plane for 2 hours, wait until nobody was around in the patterrn, start and gun the aircraft to the runway, take off, scream around the pattern, cut the engine on final, glide to the runway, restart the engine when he hit, and repeat the process 3 times. Last landing he cut the engine on final, and roll off the taxiway and roll to the tiedown spot.

Got 3 landings and never paid for more than .5

Hey, I'm as cheap as the next guy, but WTF?

Then, he would drink the coffee, take 2 bags of popcorn and complain about how expensive it was in aviation. Yeah, I funded my retirement with him!!

Hung

When I owned a FBO, we had a guy that would show up once every 90 days, tie up the plane for 2 hours, wait until nobody was around in the patterrn, start and gun the aircraft to the runway, take off, scream around the pattern, cut the engine on final, glide to the runway, restart the engine when he hit, and repeat the process 3 times.

The first time someone did that would be the last time he ever rented from me. Why did you keep renting him the plane after seeing how badly he treated it?

No, I retrospect, I should have,, but,,

It was a small FBO in a small town in Maine. He was well know by everybody, and at the time we needed all the .5's we could get. Hope springs eternal,, you just keep thinking that maybe NEXT time he will put a couple of hours on it.

Funny thing is,,, he drove up in a fancy Beemer, that must be how he afforded it. :)

Hung

Latest resources

Back