• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VNugget

suck squeeze bang blow
http://www.liquidcooledairpower.com/products.shtml
http://www.liquidcooledairpower.com/cj-overview.shtml

So I just stumbled on this today, and read all about it. Basically, it's a kit to convert most Lycoming 360/540 series to liquid cooled, and comes with cylinders, pump, radior, and all necessary accesories or plumbing. Seems pretty neat, overall. The thermostat holds CHT at a steady 200 degrees, so you get longer engine life, especially at the top end due to less temperature differential across all the different parts of the head. And totally eliminates shock cooling/heating. The sales pitch seems kind of overblown with TBO this and TBO that, but there's probably a gem of truth in there. At the obvious cost of weight and complexity (more points of failure.)

So the question is... does anyone know, or have heard of, anyone who has this installed? If so, what are the experiences? I had never heard of this until today, and the website doesn't boast any sales stats. They say it's been in development for years, and they flew it on a Cherokee in 2003. The kit is up for sale now.

Speaking of their Cherokee with the closed cowl... Wow.. it just looks so wrong, yet, so right.. at the same time. And here's a pic of the engine.

I never heard of it. The problem I have is it still uses Lycoming cranks. I don't own a certified airplane. But I wouldn't buy a Lycoming of any type that had a Lycoming crank. They are intent on removing all hammer forged cranks from service. Once that is complete, I'm sure they will start on the rest. Why shouldn't they. As it is now, they are requiring removal of cranks with no history of problems. It's just more money in their pockets.

Buy one with a Superior crank.

They don't sell complete engines, just cylinders and the required accesories, which go on your own engine.

I know, that's my point. I would pay more for any Lycoming engine that had an aftermarket crank than I would for one with a factory crank. I've seen this before. Lycoming is going to stick it to as many people as they can. They have to cover the costs of the legal battles. Plus, it's a good way to sell more parts. I don't know any mechanics who would replace a crankshaft and not overhaul the whole engine. Lycoming gets to sell gasket sets, bearings, pistons, rings, valves, springs, keepers, etc, etc, etc............

Help me out here, I'm a little lost as to what that has to do with a set of replacement cylinders :confused:

Nothing. It's just that if I (I, me, myself) was buying or overhauling a Lycoming engine, I would put more importance on an aftermarket crankshaft, than I would liquid cooled cylinders.

coloneldan said:
Nothing. It's just that if I (I, me, myself) was buying or overhauling a Lycoming engine, I would put more importance on an aftermarket crankshaft, than I would liquid cooled cylinders.
Good for you. It has no bearing on the subject of this thread. Start your own thread. :D

jknight8907 said:
Good for you. It has no bearing on the subject of this thread. Start your own thread. :D

OK, I'm sure I'm gonna catch H*** for this, but I'm already so p*ssed off this morning I'm ready to climb on the roof and start shooting people.

I made a comment on the original post. Vnugget missed my point. That the main problem I see with Lycoming engines is not the cylinders, it is the crank. (Please note: I have once again, attempted to clarify my original comment here. Not start a new thread.) I attempted to clarify my point. He missed it again. Again I had to clarify. Then you missed the whole d*** thing.

Is that plain enough or should I try to explain it again. Or maybe I should just go do something simple, like brain surgery.

Allright, let's have it. Go ahead and poke the junkyard dog. I don't give a rusty rat's a**.

Okay, grouphug

I think RAM offers a liquid cooled engine option on the Cessna 414...Seen a couple but never talked to anybody that flew/owned one. Call RAM and maybe they can give you info on life expectancy etc...

Latest resources

Back