• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Line Bidding VS PBS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PBS is nothing like relief/conversion/build up lines. With PBS you have a lot more say in what your final schedule is. With relief lines, you are at the whim of the company and your seniority when it comes time to bid within the relief line system.

Maybe, but the bottom line is you cannot create any sort of schedule conflict, the system is designed to use crews efficentley - something I do not want - I like being FBO'ed, I like monthly schedule conflicts the give me extra days off, I like 30 hour overnights, I like setting up 30 in 7 situations so I get an extra day off.

With PBS there is no FBOing going on because the affected trips are removed, there are no vacation conflicts, there are no month to month conflicts. In short the ammount of days off you hold are dictated purley by your senority.

EVERY PILOT GROUP THAT HAS PBS HAS ADOPTED IT VIA CONCESSION. No airline management has said "no we don't want you to have PBS" - that sould be a red flag.

If any pilot at XJT were to want to trade what we have for PBS, they only motive I could see them having would be that their stupidity and lack of understanding hurts them from maximizing the current system, something that would hurt them with PBS anyway.

Pilots that say they like PBS better only say so because they either do not realize what they lost, or because they know they are only as good as what they negotiated - and they don't want to feel like they gave something up when in fact they have... BIG TIME.

Last edited:
Here's a question for those (P)BS lovers:

Unless you get the specific pairings that you bid...............how do you know that someone junior to you didn't get something that you should have? There's zero transparency with (P)BS.

AF :cool:

Here's a question for those (P)BS lovers:

Unless you get the specific pairings that you bid...............how do you know that someone junior to you didn't get something that you should have? There's zero transparency with (P)BS.

Well you would have a contract provision that requires the final lines and pairings get published - like they do with line bidding. Now it would be much harder to check - but possible.

But I agree - there is significantly less transparency with PBS - you have to kind of trust the software. On the other hand I suggest it's harder for the company to specifically screw up the bid - they build the pairings and they build the overall parameters for pairing assignment, but to somehow go in there and force individual pairings to be assigned out of seniority order would seem a) hard and b) pointless.

If you are less than 50% with PBS you will never have a weekend off Again. Having had both I much prefer hard lines, esp the Vacation conflicts.

Well you would have a contract provision that requires the final lines and pairings get published - like they do with line bidding. Now it would be much harder to check - but possible.

I wonder where I can go and get one of those contract provisions at SKYW?

But I agree - there is significantly less transparency with PBS - you have to kind of trust the software. On the other hand I suggest it's harder for the company to specifically screw up the bid - they build the pairings and they build the overall parameters for pairing assignment, but to somehow go in there and force individual pairings to be assigned out of seniority order would seem a) hard and b) pointless.

It's not hard at all. Our bids close on the 17th. We don't get to see them until the afternoon on the 18th..................at the earliest. Many get to wait until the 20th, per our toilet paper policy manual. If it's beneficial to SGU, they'll do it..............regardless of seniority.

Again, how do we know that what we got is actually what we bid?

Last edited:
IAgain, how do we know that what we got is actually what we bid?

You're right - it's harder to check, and if you never see the final lines it's impossible. Have you considered a ummm, oh I forget, you know, collection of people who bargain, a group of people who vote on a, oh what is it, ummm, oh yes contract. Oh I remember - have you considered a union.

Well here's a question for you - other than personally hating you, please give one reason WHY management would mess with the schedules built by PBS?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back