• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Line Bidding VS PBS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PBS is hands down better! First of all you don't have to spend hours going through lines and pairings. It would take forever to shift through all the lines in the past. With PBS you have the chance to not have such a monotone schedule. You can work a combo of different trips instead of having to do the same trip every week. You get to meet a lot more crews since you don't fly with the same person all month.

You are on reserve a lot less under PBS. You get as much if not more days off than you did under the old system. Basically your senority gets you a lot more with PBS than it does with hard lines. Its a no brainer really. I spend about 30-40 minutes setting up my bid on PBS. its easy as pie. To go through all the hardlines can take a lot longer than that unless your quite senior.

For the most part you get to write your own line instead of bidding on one that is already made for you. You choose the credit, you choose what days off you want and usually you are able to get it too. Based on this its actually hardlines that suck! Hey I guess if you like living in a time warp doing the same trip over and over each month working with the same crews over and over then you might miss it.

What are you smoking? Going through pairings in line packets killed time flying. Now I have to spend time more time on the computer to no avail. You were at least guaranteed to get a set schedule THAT YOUR SENIORITY COULD HOLD. PBS, I can't hold anything that I was. 2 day trips are a dream now. Weekends off or weekend day), no chance even with crappy trips. Trying to get one day off for a wedding or something... don't bid for it because it's the last thing you'll get. Death to PBS. I'd say 30% of people like PBS and they're all really senior. There are a few junior people that like it but they don't know any better or weren't around long enough to get a good schedule. Seniority means JACK with PBS.

Last edited:
What are you smoking? Going through pairings in line packets killed time flying. Now I have to spend time more time on the computer to no avail. You were at least guaranteed to get a set schedule THAT YOUR SENIORITY COULD HOLD. PBS, I can't hold anything that I was. 2 day trips are a dream now. Weekends off or weekend day), no chance even with crappy trips. Trying to get one day off for a wedding or something... don't bid for it because it's the last thing you'll get. Death to PBS. I'd say 30% of people like PBS and they're all really senior. There are a few junior people that like it but they don't know any better or weren't around long enough to get a good schedule. Seniority means JACK with PBS.

How are you not getting 2 day trips? How long have you been here? I am getting 2 or 3 day trips regularly. I also get weekends off, most days off that I bid and around 15-16 days off a month with about 85-90 hrs credit. Pick up a little open time on one of my days off and I am sittin pretty. With the old system the schedules were usually built with the exact same days off. You also almost never had more than 3-4 days off in a row. With the new system you can set it up right and get a lot more blocks of days off in a row if you so desire.

You can also mix up what trips you do. Instead of having to bid an entire line of stand ups you can just throw a couple in there if you want instead of having to do a whole month of them. You can throw a few locals in there instead of having to do a whole month of them. I believe our schedules are much more flexible than they were in the past. Don't get me wrong hard lines had their advantages as well. The pre assignments are definately one of the downsides but there is always some sort of give/take. All in all the schedules I can make for myself are light years ahead of what I was getting with hard lines. For this reason I would never want to go back to the old way.

It dependes on the pbs system in use. i hear Comair has a decent one. As a senior guy I like the fact that I can get a full schedule with block of 85 hrs and 19 days off. With PBS this would be less likely. As far as days off go most good companies have personal drops as well as trip trade days so you can pretty much get what you want. Management likes the PBS since it saves them money, I like the lines at my work place, if it aint broken why fix it.

I am in total agreement...Pre PBS I got more days off and more pay, plus I didn't constantly get stuck with "forced pairings" that I have no control over.

How are you not getting 2 day trips? How long have you been here? I am getting 2 or 3 day trips regularly. I also get weekends off, most days off that I bid and around 15-16 days off a month with about 85-90 hrs credit. Pick up a little open time on one of my days off and I am sittin pretty. With the old system the schedules were usually built with the exact same days off. You also almost never had more than 3-4 days off in a row. With the new system you can set it up right and get a lot more blocks of days off in a row if you so desire.

You can also mix up what trips you do. Instead of having to bid an entire line of stand ups you can just throw a couple in there if you want instead of having to do a whole month of them. You can throw a few locals in there instead of having to do a whole month of them. I believe our schedules are much more flexible than they were in the past. Don't get me wrong hard lines had their advantages as well. The pre assignments are definately one of the downsides but there is always some sort of give/take. All in all the schedules I can make for myself are light years ahead of what I was getting with hard lines. For this reason I would never want to go back to the old way.

I bid 90 out of 170 and no love. I'm lucky to get 14 days off. 80-90 credit. Not user error - lots of ppl have looked it over. Days off I want? No way. I'm better off not bidding for days off at all that I need because if I do, there's no way. Mixing up trips was easy with the swapboard - especially if you could hold standups. PBS is no good to me and there are senior people - bidding within the top 20 that want stuff that junior people are getting. PBS has WAY too many bugs in it.

I believe the biggest obstacle to getting it here at XJT is the vacation issue. We are in the same boat as someone said earlier that we can turn a week into two or even three weeks by bidding our line with a 4 day touching each side of vacation, getting those trips dropped and getting paid for them. Then we can pick up trips during those three weeks as add pay. With pref-bid, your vacation would most likely get scheduled into your month without affecting any of your pairings. If this could be overcome, than I am all for PBS.

Interesting posts. I guess you could say the grass is always greener on the other side. Thanks all for your input. I've been wanting to know more about pref bidding for a while now.

Interesting posts. I guess you could say the grass is always greener on the other side. Thanks all for your input. I've been wanting to know more about pref bidding for a while now.

I was told it is purely a concessionary issue the allows MGMT to save around 10% of labor costs. The savings don't appear out of thin air; they come right out of the pilot's pockets as compared to the present system.

It allows the company to work understaffed and drive to a set low staffing number, by taking the known flying and matching it to the existing pilot staffing! All trips will be assigned in the backfilling process! There is little open time and depending on the work rules in place, can make days off on every line the contractual minimum! The bidding process is a learning curve, and even when learned, what you are able to achieve depends on available staffing and known flying for that given month. There is no consistent predictability for each pilot.

Software selection is critical, although even the best and costlier programs are still evolving. Which one do you think your company will pick? Cheap is definitely not better in this arena! The pilots suffer as a result!

It resolves all conflicts including vacation and integration. Trips can be assigned and built around the conflicts, so that vacations will be a minimum and the month to month conflicts will always allow trips to be plugged in up to the FAR MAX. As compared to now, PBS prevents a pilot from creating the conflict through the bidding process to have days off during the integration period, which are not protected by contractual restrictions. The pilot loses!

The company has more tools to extract more work from less pilots. This is not always a bad thing if it only made your trip more productive, but across the board, it can be used to cover the known flying with less people and fewer reserves, which can tranlate into fewer days off and less consecutive days off.

It is complex, and there is no simple explanation for the process. It could be a torture tool and not pilot friendly.

Delta pilots friends have said they would not have accepted it on any of it's merits, but that their company wanted it and they were in concessionary negotiations. Apparently, they had it crammed down their throats to have a mutual deal and avoid a court imposed settlement in Bankruptcy.

Friends at Southwest and American are saying their respective managements want it. However, they have indicated that their Pilot Unions view it as concessionary and will not accept it under any condition! Their Unions have done their homework! That's good enough for me!

Don't believe on the AA side that the union doesn't want it. They do, if it is done properly, and I believe that it will be. Obviously, they don't if they cant get it done properly. When AA started recalling pilots they had just had their first meeting with APA negotiators and AA thought the negotiations would take like 4-6 months and when the union shook their heads no, they said, well were gonna start recalling.

I believe the biggest obstacle to getting it here at XJT is the vacation issue. We are in the same boat as someone said earlier that we can turn a week into two or even three weeks by bidding our line with a 4 day touching each side of vacation, getting those trips dropped and getting paid for them. Then we can pick up trips during those three weeks as add pay. With pref-bid, your vacation would most likely get scheduled into your month without affecting any of your pairings. If this could be overcome, than I am all for PBS.

You can always bid for days off AROUND your vacation week - and since most peoples experience with PBS is that it's pretty good at giving you the days off you request you'd at least get some of the time.

But I hear what you're saying - the right line and the right seniority and line bidding can add a WHOLE lot to a vacation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back