Like Taking Candy From a Baby!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkerjet

I've got a friend who just got her private pilot license and we have a little wager going on the interpretation of a regulation. She made the bet before I could get to a FAR/AIM to prove her wrong. Could the kind gentlemen/ladies of Flight Info please inform her of the correct answer as she doesn't believe me and we aren't close to a FAR/AIM book. Here Goes..... If a pilot gets a First class medical on 28JAN05 and is flying as a Captain for a part 135 company, does he/she have until the end of June 05 or July05 to get another medical to continue to fly as a Captain for a part 135 company.
Guys and Gals, note this pertains to part 135, I know a first class is good for a year part 91 but that is not what we were discussing.
I know this sounds a little petty, but a little humble pie is in order.
Thanx....

What if not flying jet pax? Freight can go a year, and most turbo prop and pistons can go for a year. Otherwise it would be July if required.

EDIT...nevermind, i read too far into the situation :)

Last edited:
A First Class Medical is required when excercising the privileges of an ATP. If the "135 Captain" position of which you speak requires an ATP, then the answer is July. If not, then the answer is Jan.

So for the question to be accurately answered, you must first determine is an ATP required:

Sec. 135.243
Pilot in command qualifications.

(a) No certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command in passenger-carrying operations--
(1) Of a turbojet airplane, of an airplane having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more, or of a multiengine airplane in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter, unless that person holds an airline transport pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that airplane.

hawkerjet,

You had me worried, because I fly as captain on the e120, and we go for 12 months before we renew the first class (part 135), so I looked it up.

It depends on the operation, and type of aircraft you are flying, as to the duration of the first class. Not the FAR you operate under. The reg is 61.23, and it states that the first class is good for six months for operations requiring an ATP certificate, and for twelve months for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate.

Under part 135, (135.243) an ATP is only required in certain passenger carrying operations. So if you haul 135 freight, it is good for a year.

But, your company's ops specs might require the ATP in all of the company's type of operations as well. Better check that too (in addition to the basic 135 regs), because the feds will sometimes attach additional requirements to them.

You had me worried there for a minute. Hope this helps.

What aircraft? Turbo-jet? More than 10 pax seats? The medical certificate itself does not differentiate between Part 91 or 135. A Class I will always be valid for calendar 6 mo. for use in operations requiring an ATP (135.243, etc). After 6 mo. it is still valid for ops requiring a Commercial up to 12 mo, etc. The Class doesn't change, just the priveledges for use. 61.23 "...end of last day of...6 th. mo. after the month of the date of examination.."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back