Lightspeed Mach 1 Review

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

azpilot

Well in my ever continuing quest to find the ultimate ERJ headset solution I decided to buy the Lightspeed Mach 1 headset.

In the past I have used the company supplied David Clarks, my Lightspeed 20XL ANR headset, and the Telex 5x5 with custom ear molds. I decided to drag my Telex, 20XL, and the Mach 1 on a long flight to compare. The best noise cancelling for me came from my Lightspeed ANR headset, the Telex 5x5 and Mach 1 were about the same. I would say the Mach 1 was slightly better and you don't have the earseal issue with a heaving mic boom like the Telex.

The Mach 1 does have an adjustable mic gain. The background noise from the Mach 1 and Telex 5x5 were about the same. On either headset you can make the appropriate adjustment to reduce the background noise.

The bottom line is if you want ultimate noise cancelling wear the clamps. I personally hate wearing the clamps so I will most likely keep the Mach 1. I would like to borrow someone Bose headset for a final comparison.

The biggest issue is the ERJ is just so dang noisy nothing works perfectly.

What I Like:
- Very lightweight
- Audio tone a better quality than Telex 5x5
- Built in volume control for easy adjustments. Telex you need to buy an additional volume control.
- Music interface is good but only lowers the music by 70% No COMPLETE mute!
- Very flexible mic boom. Better than Telex 5x5
- Plugs stay in place. Telex 5x5 tends to pull on the mold where the mic is attached.

What I Don't Like:
- Ear Wrap around for mike boom causes conflict with wearing sunglasses.
I wear Oakleys and it wasn't too bad but it may bug you after a while.
- Watch style battery to power cell/audio interface. Company doesn't say how long this battery will last nor how expensive to replace.
- Replacement plugs are expensive.
Trying to see if I can make my own replacements (http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/index.html)
- Provided case is Huge. I am looking for a smaller solution

Bottom line: If you already have a Telex 5x5 you may be good with what you have unless you are dying to have a audio interface. If the clamps don't bother you this headset most likely will not be more quiet than what you are currently using. If you haven't bought anything to date and are a rich FO like me (NOT!) the Lightspeed is worth a look. If you can find the headset at a local store to try that may be your best option.

Feel free to ask additional questions.

Blue Skies!
AZPilot

The Bose Headsets work great! I have had mine for a few months now and while I unfortunately have not used them in any RJ I have used them in a citation and a bunch of various light singles and multis. What I have found is the lightweight and the spring loaded headband make them really comfortable for an around the ear seal type headset. In the prior years I used the DC's and in comparison as far as comfort the Bose take the cake. I can wear them all day and completely forget I have them on. The noise cancellation is fantastic and have compared them side by side while in the cockpit against my brother's LightSpeed 20XLC. The Bose win all around in my book. My only complaint is for 1000 dollars they do not have a cell phone/audio interface. While it was a rather large purchase for me, I have so far been extremely impressed and do not regret the purchase. I would definately try to borrow some and give them a shot!

azpilot said:
The biggest issue is the ERJ is just so dang noisy...
Oh, cry me a freakin' river. Try a Beech 1900 on for size and get back to me! :D :D :D

(And on that note, the Lightspeeds ANRs do a fantastic job of canceling turboprop noise.)

CA1900 said:
Oh, cry me a freakin' river. Try a Beech 1900 on for size and get back to me! :D :D :D

(And on that note, the Lightspeeds ANRs do a fantastic job of canceling turboprop noise.)
Uh I flew a turbo prop in the past and yes I was hoping when I moved over to the jet things would be more quiet! I believe the CRJ is much better with respect to cockpit noise for example.

Last edited:
Lightspeeds are not built for the regular use seen in a scheduled 121 environment. They tend to fall apart. The company is very good about repairing them but you have to ask yourself whether or not it's worth the hassle of having to send them in for repairs periodically. I tried a pair for a while and I've had a few FO's that have used them. They would be great for someone who doesn't fly that much.

Ditto on that. About every 8 months the headset takes a trip to the factory. they especially do not like cold. The plastic breaks. Is the mach 1 more reliable?

I have had the Mach 1 for about 2 weeks and the one thing I do not like about them is the ear plugs. The blue ones do not fit in my ears and the others that come with it I can not get to fit on the earpiece. I have not decided whether I am going to keep mine yet.

They are very light and I do like being able to watch a movie or play PSP and hear the audio through my headset if I was actually going to do that.

Mach 1

I purchased the Mach 1 about two weeks ago and have worn it in the GIV for about 20 hours. It's going back as soon as I get home.

My problems:

1) I thought it was ANR, really it is just sound supression with a tight fitting "in-ear" plug. You can do as much with the little "yellow plugs" most companies provide under any other headset.

2) It is slow to put on and take off. I like to get up every couple of hours and visit the john, fool with the F/A, or just stretch my legs. While I just won't wear clamps like Dave Clarks, the Telex Airman 750/850 are "Quick On and Quick Off".

I like the sound quality, I like the light weight, I like the fact that I don't have a strap over my already balding head but it's just not to easy to use nor is it very comfortable.

Next I'll try the Telex Airman 850.

TransMach

Review Update

Well after flying with the Mach 1 for a few pairings I am going to keep them. I found a way to use my custom molds from my Telex 5x5 headset with them. The molds are a bit more quiet. All I did was put the silicon ear plugs on the Mach 1 posts and then cut them off at the end. This create a wider post for the Telex mold to fit over. While they don't quite go all the way in they are secure. Since the Mach 1 is so much lighter there is pull on my earmold thus creating a better seal.

I had the opportunity to try a brand new Bose headset this week. While the headset is amazingly quiet, until the wind noise in the ERJ picks up, I think I will stick with what I've got. The hot mike noise on the Bose is really loud. I hate turning the hot mike on and off while carrying a conversation. Also, it is still a headet. I simply hate wearing headsets. If I was still in a Turbo Prop I would recommend getting the Bose.

So I think if you have the money the Mach 1 with custom earmolds is the way to go.

- AZPilot

has anyone used the quiet II with the flymike headset adapter? Also wondering if anyone has used it in the BRO? or any other turbo props

Latest resources

Back