Lightspeed Mach 1 Review

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ear molds are the way to go with the Mach 1

I bought the Mach 1's and didn't care for them at first. The blue ear plugs sucked, but the yellow plugs did a fair job. The ear loop does interfere with glasses, and does not keep the boom from moving. After buying the first set, I returned them because I wasn't impressed. I bought them a second time when I learned that ear molds (see lightspeed.com for info.) could be used. Since I started using the ear molds, I find them to be MUCH better. The ear loop can be removed because the boom plugs snuggly into the left ear piece which makes the boom very stable.

I use the Mach 1's (the FO uses my Telex 750's and ear plugs) and a portable intercom in old and noisy Falcon 20's and Lear 24/25's. They work great. Yes, it does take a few seconds longer to insert the ear molds, but I like them much better than head clamps.

Telex 850's(ANR) works great, lasts a long time. I've used them in the CRJ. No batteries required!

Dave Benjamin said:
Lightspeeds are not built for the regular use seen in a scheduled 121 environment. They tend to fall apart. The company is very good about repairing them but you have to ask yourself whether or not it's worth the hassle of having to send them in for repairs periodically. I tried a pair for a while and I've had a few FO's that have used them. They would be great for someone who doesn't fly that much.

I agree 100%. After mine broke (again), I decided to go with the Bose. Lightspeed is a great company and fixed mine for free while out of warranty, but the Bose are better. While the noise cancelling on the Bose is on par with the Lightspeeds I used to wear, the other factors are the real selling points.

-It folds up and fits in your kit bag easily
-Resale on Ebay is insanely high... look and see
-If you wear sunglasses or glasses, the lesser pressure on your head will stop any sensation of pinching
-The battery lasts forever. I change mine around once a month, and I'm using them around 70-80 flight hours.

As far as the hot mike issue, I've never had a problem with it. I just turn down the intercom dial to the center position on the ERJ.

Try senheiser, they work great i'm in a turboprop (dash) and they're excellent. a bit pricey yes, but hey hearing is something i dont want to screw around with

Latest resources

Back