• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lightspeed headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have the lightspeed 20-3G and although I used to think they were great, I am starting to wish I could get my money back. I had a problem with them in September, luckily I was flying in Portland and was able to take them in and have them fixed. Worked fine for a while.

Last week, while on a 135 initial they went haywire. Loud sreeching and static from the right earcup while on my last approach. I managed to fly the approach, land and taxi in, even though they were screaming in my ear. My right ear rang for two days. Now they are sitting on my desk while I use my old Telex non ANR backup set.

I appreciate that they have good customer service, but if I am going to have to send them in every 6 months, and have the potential for horribly distracting noises while flying IMC, I want my money back so I can get a more reliable headset. Who wants to carry a backup headset everyday because of the unreliable performance of an expensive ANR.

photopilot said:
I have the lightspeed 20-3G and although I used to think they were great, I am starting to wish I could get my money back. I had a problem with them in September, luckily I was flying in Portland and was able to take them in and have them fixed. Worked fine for a while.

Last week, while on a 135 initial they went haywire. Loud sreeching and static from the right earcup while on my last approach. I managed to fly the approach, land and taxi in, even though they were screaming in my ear. My right ear rang for two days. Now they are sitting on my desk while I use my old Telex non ANR backup set.

I appreciate that they have good customer service, but if I am going to have to send them in every 6 months, and have the potential for horribly distracting noises while flying IMC, I want my money back so I can get a more reliable headset. Who wants to carry a backup headset everyday because of the unreliable performance of an expensive ANR.

You are the first person that I've heard that has had a negative experience with Lightspeeds. I'm sure that if you give them a call and express your dissatisfaction, they'll do everything they can to see to it that you are taken care of.

I've had one problem with my Lightspeeds and it was resolved immediately. I love their product and will buy nothing other than Lightspeeds.

I'll be very interested to hear how your problem resolves.

Errr... As stated above, I had a problem with my Litespeeds, too. More than one, actually. If you read this thread, everyone raves about the customer service, which means they've NEEDED it... Which means they aren't perfectly reliable.

The greatest customer service in the world is for naught if you can't rely on them to go more than six months without something breaking, thus I am back to the DC's.

Hey I.P.,
The Bose headsets are perfect for the Saab. Usually there's a reasonably priced set on eBay. They are much more comfy than the DCs.

Lightspeeds rule!

I've used a pair of the 20K for years, and it's good as new despite all the flight instructing I do (plugging in and unplugging several times a day in little airplanes). I'll put their durability up against Clarks (or any others) and day.

The only problem I've had was an intermittent in the audio cable and they repaired that...plus installing new head cushion and ear seals...all for no charge. And the headset had been OUT of warranty for over a year! And I had them back in less than a week!

I do experience a slight squeal when near radar antennas, but it's a pretty minor annoyance. It's a small price to pay for the incredible comfort. As for David Clarks, just hearing or reading the name makes my head hurt. No thanks.

I get a deafening "chirp" from my 30G's when near/on the ground at airports with radar.

I get the same chirp from the Bose or the Passive DCs. The more powerful the transmitter, the worse the chirp. Usually I am the only one that hears it, even if the other person has a Bose.

A friend's Bose failed out of the box and instead of returning it to the retailer, Bose asked me to ship it to them directly. They also suggested an upgrade to my 1 y/o headset to get rid of a hot spot. The hot spot would only develop after about 7 hours of wear.

I overnighted both sets to Bose. They worked on and shipped the same day as they arrived. Shipping was overnight. Bose fixed the problem with the first set, gave both sets hi-tension springs (no more hot spot!), and replaced my ear cushions at no charge.

David Clark did the same thing when my 2 y/o headset mic failed. They replaced the mic, upgraded the cushion, and replaced the ear seals, then shipped the set back overnight.

I used the DC for two flights while my Bose was gone. It was like strapping on two brick amplifiers. The noise level was amazing (loud!), even with a set of ear plugs. My ears rang for hours afterwards.

A Lightspeed might be cheaper, but it certainly doesn't seem to withstand heavy use.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

>>>I'll put their durability up against Clarks (or any others) and day.<<<

With all due respect, I hope you realize that your experience with Litespeeds is in no way indicative of other people's experiences with them. You are either extraordinarily lucky or you baby them beyond belief. Just read this thread and see how many Litespeed repairs have been reported. Mine went in three times in under 18 months before I gave up on them (they're presently broken, again, and have been for three years).

I agree, the sound quality is amazing. When you don't have the headband break, an earcup go out on you in the middle of a long cross-country, or have the volume go to "DEAF" for no apparent reason... But that's what these things do, and I'm not the only one. An FO I flew with some months ago had his Litespeeds jury-rigged to stay together on his head, with some duct tape and bubblegum as a backup.

You can't possibly think that the all-plastic Litespeeds are as durable as the mostly-metal DC line....? And as for comfort, I've never found the DC line to be uncomfortable. And something noone's pointed out yet about the Litespeed is how far away from your head the mass in the earcups is. A rapid turn of the head finds inertia keeping the headset nearly stationary while your head turns, followed by the headset snapping into place. VERY annoying. Not to mention that "comfortable" earpiece design, with all the pleats and such, is absolutely EXCELLENT at holding in "ear sweat" in the summer months. Pretty soon your headset can start smelling worse than your shoes. :)

By the way, how on earth do you people fit the Litespeeds in your flight cases with all your books? I'd have to carry the headset separately if I wished to wear them now.

One more thing... You can't "reverse" the headset, so the mike is on the same side of your head no matter what. A small annoyance, sure, and it's only annoying if it's on the side you don't want it to be on! 50-50 chance of that, though....!

I.P. Freley said:
You can't possibly think that the all-plastic Litespeeds are as durable as the mostly-metal DC line....?

Well, I've twice had the earcup-holding rivet snap on my DC 13.4's, leaving the earcup hanging by its wire and the headband jabbing my skull. Maybe it's just my fat head. :) But unlike you, I DO find the DC to be uncomfortable on long flights, both by physical head pressure and the noise fatigue, so I just can't go back to them full time.

Not to mention that "comfortable" earpiece design, with all the pleats and such, is absolutely EXCELLENT at holding in "ear sweat" in the summer months. Pretty soon your headset can start smelling worse than your shoes. :)

Ewwww...

I ran into the same durability problems with my 20K headsets. I traded them in last year on their new design, the 20 3G, and they're MUCH better. The materials seem better, the fit-and-finish is tighter, and they no longer have the crinkly-plastic earseals to catch the sweat. (But we never sweat in the 1900 anyway....heh...) All in all a much better design. We'll see how the durability holds up, but I'm much happier with them than the 20K.

I talked with Lightspeed about doing the upgrade for my 20XL. I think I might go thru with it. They said the 75 includes shipping back you. They ship it to you the same way you shipped it to them. So, if you shipped it second day air you get it back that way.

It also includes two wires. One for you to plug into a cd player. Then one that plugs into a cell phone. I think that is a 2.5mm plug.

Wankel

Talk about durable....

I have a pair of Sigtronics that I still wear occasionally, they are built like a tank and have a great microphone. They are a little on the heavy side though. As far as passive's go, they rock when I changed seals (gel).

Wait, I can't hear a thing with my head up here.
:p

Latest resources

Back