• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lightning strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If radar was properly used and echoes properly avoided, the a/c should not have been exposed to such a strike.[/quote]

You would be a perfect candidate for a high level position with the FAA. The screen moniker suits you well

GIve me a break. I got struck by lightening last week, with nothing but green on the radar, no cells within 40 NM of our position.

I was giving IOE an explaining the radar to a newhire. There were multiple cells in the area. I said lets go through that level one and we should be OK. Within seconds, we were struck by lightning. Moral of the story, it happens a lot and not always in the level 5 storm.

LJDRVR said:
GIve me a break. I got struck by lightening last week, with nothing but green on the radar, no cells within 40 NM of our position.

Uppercrust's pot shots at Airtran are less than genuine. See how he'll never admit to the source of his gripes OR tell you which airline he flies for, which gives him the one-way relative anonymity. Why you ask? You decide. However, it is NOT because his hypocritical airline has never had any of its airplanes struck by lightning AND all of the pilots at his airline are top notch airmen who always steer clear of any precipitation. His concerns, however, do appear sincerely natured to the unsuspecting. A word to the wise.

1st Overnite said:
I was giving IOE an explaining the radar to a newhire. There were multiple cells in the area. I said lets go through that level one and we should be OK. Within seconds, we were struck by lightning. Moral of the story, it happens a lot and not always in the level 5 storm.

You are letting too many facts get in the way of the Uppercrust's good story. He's not interested.

Uppercrust said:
http://www.nbc26news.com/news/state/2671246.html

Anyone here know of the details??? My sympathy for the passengers that had to endure this show of airmanship!

Thanks for the info Uppercrust. Seems some on this board don't want to hear about this stuff. I guess it reminds them of that hero from their past who landed that hail bashed DC-9 in BNA. I think I hear Celine singing the Titanic theme.

Einstein said:
Thanks for the info Uppercrust. Seems some on this board don't want to hear about this stuff. I guess it reminds them of that hero from their past who landed that hail bashed DC-9 in BNA. I think I hear Celine singing the Titanic theme.

On the contrary, we'd all like to hear the "details" of this "superior airmanship" of which Uppercrust speaks. So far no response though. If it's just that an a/c was hit by lightning and returned to ATL, why would anyone care? A/C get hit by lightning all the time. With no other information to go on, I'd say the Capt made the right decision to return to ATL, where they have mx, and grab another a/c. Chances are pretty good that Airtran mx checked out the a/c overnight, fixed any problems it may have caused and put it back into service the next morning. If you're really fascinated by lightning strikes do a search on CRJ's getting hit.

-Blucher:rolleyes:

Lightning strike or static discharge?.......There is a difference, but the symptoms are quite similar....Ask anyone who has ever flown the Airbus...By the way...I am proud of my screen name...Batchhh!!

Einstein said:
Thanks for the info Uppercrust. Seems some on this board don't want to hear about this stuff. I guess it reminds them of that hero from their past who landed that hail bashed DC-9 in BNA.
What would a flight attendant know about anything?

I think I hear Celine singing the Titanic theme.
You're wrong, its the theme song from brokeback mountain!

Crusty doesn't get to make decisions like that . . . when he gets to the Flight Line and they have the "No Pre-Private Solo" sign up he goes back home and logs onto this message board and makes assinine posts about Airtran.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back