Lightning strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rspilot said:
Most of you obviously are not real pilots. Ive got five years of pounding an MU-2 and a Navajo through thunderstorms in the midwest

There I was, on short final, out of coffee....................... Please sky king tell us about the time.............

You know back in the old days we did'nt have radar, why all we had was two tin cans and some string. And a lucky rabbits foot. And we like it.

Phaedrus said:
Asking uppercrust for clarification about something concerning AirTran is akin to asking Hamas to explain the Torah.

LMAO

Still laughing - that has got to be one of the best replies ever!

Ty Webb said:
Only a non-pilot moron like Uppercrust would actually use a TV station report of an air return and call it a "straightforward article". Congratulations, you know even less about aviation matters than a local TV station reporter.

Starting to wonder if Uppercrud is also Lowturd.

Airline spokesman Tad Hutcheson says the Boeing 717 was hit by a lightning bolt right after taking off.

You're own spokesman was the one who made the statement. They got hit by a bolt right after takeoff. Well, you guys work there.. what is the story??? Was it higher up or just after takeoff. No way it was a static discharge.

"right after take off" could be anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes, who knows. Tad hutcheson is not a pilot. By the way who cares and exactly what is your point?

Last edited:
rspilot said:
Most of you obviously are not real pilots. Ive got five years of pounding an MU-2 and a Navajo through thunderstorms in the midwest and I can tell you that if you get hit by a bolt you are definitely closer than 20 miles to the storm....bet those pilots will get a letter from their friendly fsdo soon. Until you've asked a freight dog....dont put up your silly opinions based on a lightning bolt traveling fifty miles to hit a mountain somewhere in the south pacific...doesnt happen in the US.

These guys don't have a clue!

Im betting on it being terrorists.....developing a thunderstorm in Iraq that can strike any aircraft in the US at any moment.....be afraid....be very afraid.

fletch717 said:
"right after take off" could be anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes, who knows. Tad hutcheson is not a pilot. By the way who cares and exactly what is your point?

He is your spokesman though. I'll leave it at since you do fly the 717. You haven't heard anything??

I've been hit by lightning, I wrote it up in the log book and went home never heard a word about it from any one. I was sure I was going to get hit last week, did'nt happen but I had two big static discharges from that night. There was no getting around it, stuff happens. It was not, at any time unsafe.

I was flying that night in ATL and was almost last in line for takeoff after they closed the ramp for in-cloud lightning. The Airtran flight was probably within 10 departures before us. There was a small cell maybe a mile wide SW of the airport when we launched. It was yellow on the radar and EVERYBODY was launching. Planes were even launching off 9L when the tower was calling winds 300@15G28. Finally someone said they couldnt accept the winds and they switched runways to 27R facing the cell.

The Airtran that got struck most likely took off west and got struck climbing through 10 or so. When we took off it was bumpy and rainy but we were able to avoid the cell easily about 5-10 miles from it as we turned away from it southeast bound after takeoff. Didn't hear about the Airtran guy until now. Jets get struck by lightning pretty frequently, but this guy most certainly didn't take off into a storm so that he got struck as he was lifting off.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back