Lightning strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bubbers44 said:
Interesting side note, my neighbor was landing at DFW one day with no clouds anywhere near him and got hit by a bolt of lightning on the left side of first class right where Shirley Maclaine was sitting. He wrote up the airplane and didn't know until the next flight when the FA's told him she was seated there. Lots of energy, that woman.

Static discharge.............Clouds need to be present in order to have lightning......Airframes that contain large amounts of composite materials Ex. (Airbus 320) accumulate static energy at a higher rate than all metal ones. Static discharges are normaly observed as a flash, followed by a loud bang!...Similar to a lightning strike.

You know, I've been hit a couple of times. I am sure the captain felt the spacing was adequate. I have been hit going through a cumulus cloud that I would have flown a Cessna through. It was the first stike out of the cloud. Additionally, I circumnavigated a cell by 5 miles more than the 20 miles recommended. I got stung on that one too.

Sometimes, it isn't as cut and dry as the media or other pilots would make it sound. I think the Captain deserves a little credit here. They could have continued on to handle the mx issue on landing. However, the captain went back to ATL where mx and other replacement a/c were available. I think it was a good decision in light of the situation.

My .02.

JD

You Airtran people need to face reality here. Uppercrust is just asking why one of your aircraft were departing in a thunderstorm. Maybe he should have waited a while and let it pass further away from the area. Who knows and who cares. I don't. But, for the record, let's not forget that one of the greatest and funniest clips we watch in recurrent every year is from an ex Valuejet/Airtran ground instructor about the Critter who flew through a hail storm and got the living crap kicked out of him. The airplane was a mess and this idiot says, " I flew combat missions in Vietnam and nothing was as scary as this". What a tool. I hope this clown is not still flying for you guys. His interview breaks up the whole class into mass laughter. So do a few of your other misshaps.

Following the mishap, he was downgraded back to the right seat. A year (or so) after he retired, he passed away. On the bright side, he lived through the mishap to tell about it in the interview, unlike many before him (re: DAL 191). BTW, "we face reality" every day. Fly safe.

His interview breaks up the whole class into mass laughter. So do a few of your other misshaps.

You know everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing ACCIDENTALLY! "Honey, I'd like you to meet einstein, he's got some amusing anecodotes for you. Oh and here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it." I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with einstein. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The shower curtain ring guy. Woah." It's like going on a date with a Chatty Cathy doll. I expect you have a little string on your chest, you know, that I pull out and have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back - you would. Agh! Agh! Agh! Agh! And by the way, you know, when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener!

Phaedrus,

If you were able to type that whole thing from memory, you are my movie quote hero. Great film, by the way. I laughed, I cried, I'd see it again and again, it's like "Cats."

-Blucher:beer:

ironspud said:
You've obviously never flown in the midwest for a scheduled airline.

This whole thread reminds me of the time that I was landing in CVG and I heard tower clear Clownair for takeoff. There was a huge cell just south of the airport with lots off fireworks in it. "Comair XXXX cleared for takeoff 18L, Good Luck!" When tower wishes you luck it's time to pull off and let some other fool go first. JMHO.

Let's put this thread to bed
This comes from the guy(?) that started it. He must not have had enough idiots jump on his bandwagon and it's getting away from him. They must all be up in the upper atmosphere and can't respond. Oh wait, if that's 2000' msl, then there are alot that still have access to this site. I wish I lived in Denver, I could tell people I lived in the upper atmoshpere. That has such more appeal than the mile high city.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back