• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Light weight headsets??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wish I knew someone with a some some Clarity Alofts I could borrow. I did see that they have a 30-day money back guarantee. I was on the brink of getting a set of BOSE X, but now I am having second thoughts. What would happen if I bought these, and then "converted" them to ANR, like you can do to pretty much any non ANR head sets? Would that help improve them at all?

i'd be curious to know how you plan to accomplish "converting" clarity aloft's to ANR....have you looked at one before?

Just curious.....

A guy that I use to CFI with is a technology buff and has some wird box that he can splice into the line that gos to the headset. The only kind of headset I have seen him do it to are DC that are not ANR. It makes for quite an improvement. I was thinking he might be able to do it to clarity alofts. I am by no means an expert on the subject. I am getting ready to look into the aftermarket ANR kit now, I will let you know.

Last edited:
Okay, now I understand what he does. Its not all in the mystery "box" you also have to install some high tech items in the headset itself. So what exactly is the difference between passive, and active noise reduction? http://www.headsetsinc.com/ here are some pictures

Last edited:
Yea.....those mods can not be done to this headset.
Passive is merely put something between your eardrum and the sound like earplugs, ear muffs, headset cups, etc...... just something that muffles sound.

Active noise reduction is an electronic system that senses a particular frequency....(usually the lower frequencies) and makes extra noise (white noise) that has the exact opposite wave. When you add the two sound waves, it strives to equal zero sound. (if an engine wave propogates 1 to -1, the ANR noise goes from -1 to 1 at the same time).....

If you try on an ANR unit with the ANR off, then turn it on you will hear a hissing sound which is the (white noise). When in the airplane it has a very noticeable effect.....try one out one day and you will understand.

Anyone checked out the LightSPEED Mach 1. THey just came out. Im thinking about trying it out.

My bose are a year old.....they're great headsets..no complaints..just need the room in my flight bag.. asking $700 for them. thanks for the reply's.

I have used ANRs before, I just had no idea how they worked. Now I have achieved enlightenment. However, I have been told not to go into the light. Thanks for the help.

Don't get Panthers. They suck-diddly-uck!! I bought the version with the boom mike and you pretty much kave to fish hook yourself with it to break the squelch. Flew with a guy that had the in-ear mike and heard every sniff, cough, clearing of the throat, and him drinking water because he kept forgetting to hit the mute button.

U-I pilot said:
how loud is loud?
I've used them in: Navajo, seminole, seneca (older model not well sealed), Cessnas and pipers and not found them to be any louder (slightly quieter) than any passive headset ive worn......

You mention that they are slightly quieter than any passive headset you've worn? What about compared to any ANR/PNR DC headset your've worn? Is it much quieter than those? I have pretty sensitive hearing and i'd like to keep it that way. I will be flying in cessnas and Alarus 2000 aircraft and hopefully RJ's in the future.

Will these things be the way to go? I dont mind spending the money if they are worth it. Like i said... i'm looking for the best hearing protection. I'm currently undecide between the BOSE headsets, the Clarity Aloft's, and the top of the line DC's. Which one protects the hearing the best in loud props/RJ's? I'm assuming that the Clarity Aloft's are the most comfortable?

thanks in advance for your opinions/advice.

When I was searching, it ultimately came down to value, comfort, and sound protection. I think I really just didn't want to spend the money for the Bose even if it was the slightest bit quieter.

Others I considered along with Clarity Aloft were Lightspeed ANR and D&C ANR. Of those two I would have chosen the Lightspeed because of comfort and sound reduction. All of these were in about the same price range (lightspeed was cheapest actually). Clarity comfort really makes the difference in how I feel after a flight simply because of the lack of weight on my head.....

One of the other flight instructors that got the Clarity at the same time as me tried them on in a Cirrus then to test, put the BOSE on OVER it....he said the bose eliminated some more of the low frequency but leaked in more of higher frequencies when he removed the Clarities....

All of those headsets are quality and are among the best in hearing protection in my opinion....any would a good choice, just depends on what you are looking to spend and how strong your neck is ;)

Latest resources

Back