Life at UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

amt

Just curious how life is at UPS when it comes to a few things. If any of you guys can answer these questions it would help a fellow pilot to make a decision:

- What's first and second year pay? And per-diem?
- How long would it take to hold MIA? Are the trips commutable?
- What's the most junior equipment? and Base?
- How long until you can hold a line?
- How's reserve like? long call out?
- What's minimum amount of days off?
- How are the trips? I've heard there is 2/3/4...
- How long to upgrade?
- What's the retirement plan like?
- Is health insurance expensive?
- Are there any travel benefits/agreements with other airlines (ID90, etc)?
- What's the overall moral of the pilot group?

I'm just trying to get an idea of the night flying life style...
Thanks for your help... :D

Last edited:
Not to make light of your questions, and they are legitimate concerns if
one does get on with UPS, but it's always been my view that one should
try to get on with UPS, and all other concerns are inconsequential.....
UPS or FedEx= Life is good, whether in Miami or anywhere else, compared to any other freight operation.
I know, kind of a flippant attitude, sorry. Best of luck.

3. Some basic information can be found here:http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/cargo/ups.html
...it will answer half of your Q's.

This site is great for compensation numbers and contract info.

Not to make light of your questions, and they are legitimate concerns if
one does get on with UPS, but it's always been my view that one should
try to get on with UPS, and all other concerns are inconsequential.....
UPS or FedEx= Life is good, whether in Miami or anywhere else, compared to any other freight operation.
I know, kind of a flippant attitude, sorry. Best of luck.

Hey Captain Oveur, I don't think it is a flipant attitude at all. To me, it is true. I go to work, come home, and paycheck shows up every 2 weeks, not having to worry if my company is going to go bankrupt today or not. I am very grateful for that. I am lucky to be where I'm at. There are things that could be changed for the better here at Brown, but they are much better than many other places.

So, amt, many of your answers can be found at the previously mentioned website, as well as the contract itself, I believe. I will give you the skinny on others:

MIA: if the company needs people there, they will send you there. Newhires have been hired there, but ANC seems to be the current focus.

Junior equip and base: we really don't have that. You can be hired into FE on the 727 or FO of the 747. This has happened within the last 2 months. You go where the company needs you. Also, with our one style payscale, pilots don't chase airplanes for pay purposes. You bid what you want to fly; you will get it pretty quickly.

Holding a line: depends on the fleet - some within 1 year, others may be 2-3 years.

RSV: 1:30 callout, 2:00 callout, 12:00 hour callout, depending on what you are awarded. 1:30 is most common and likely for newhires.

Days off: 13 min in a 28 day period, 16 off in a 35 day period.

Trips: you name it - turns, week on week off, 12 day trips etc. Too many to list.

Upgrade: 8-10 years.

Retirement: decent; see above website.

Health insurance: very good benefits, the best I've ever had. Cheap, compared to other airlines.

Some bennies on SWA, Delta, ATA; nothing to brag about. Jumpseats are available like any other airline.

Morale: been shaky, going through union elections, hope to get better here real soon. HOWEVER: the history of this group of pilots has been very good, and I truly believe that it will return to the unity that us new guys have been told about; I am very proud to be a member of this pilot group.

In a nutshell, this is the quick and dirty. Night flying is not that bad if you can manage a decent sleep sked. Some days are harder than others. It's what you make of it.

I'd be interested but I wouldn't want to take the chance on being stuck on the panel on a jurassic jet. Now if they could hire me into the right seat of a widebody (especially he 747-400 :D) that would be cool. Plus I'm not too keen on wearing a brown uniform. I think I'll continue to enjoy my seniority on the RJ or maybe wait till United starts hiring again.

I'd be interested but I wouldn't want to take the chance on being stuck on the panel on a jurassic jet. Now if they could hire me into the right seat of a widebody (especially he 747-400 :D) that would be cool. Plus I'm not too keen on wearing a brown uniform. I think I'll continue to enjoy my seniority on the RJ or maybe wait till United starts hiring again.

Ahhh, the good ol' "Rhoid", "guppy Killer", "Freight Nazi", ect strikes again.

How in the heck do you keep signing up for new user names now that the site isn't free anymore?

You know what, you should just stay where you are.

Thanks 1800RVR, it's really cool to know all the positive and realistic things of the "brown". I think I've made my mind.
Happy flying...

80for80

Yeah, I have to say that is a bit silly your comments. I am 41 and have flown Dc9-747 and I would love to be on the panel on a 727/DC8/747 in a brown uniform. Always thought it would be neat to be an FE and I would also NEVER have to take the FE written again! Some people get it and some don't.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back